Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Locked Package Manager

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Locked Package Manager

I should have said I totally remove snaps. It does not prevent a new install as I found when it installed Chromium.

sudo apt autoremove --purge snapd
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Does this mean that when I daily run apt update/upgrade snap packages such as VLC (I installed it via Ubuntu Software and checked the details, and *it is* a snap package) and basically all of the other snaps *do not* get in fact upgraded?
    Meaning, I should remove the snap package in question, VLC to remain in the example, and then reinstall it again via apt/synaptic in order for it to update daily ?

Thanks, and I'm sorry but I find all of this a bit confusing: I do not believe it was a very wise decision to mix the 2 approaches. By the way, are snap or flat mature enough to be able to support an entire distro by themselves, meaning without a parallel update line like apt or yum? I suppose not: low level stuff like the kernel for example I don't think can be packaged. Or can it?
    Last edited by arkeo; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

The snap and flathub repositories are fairly limited right now and are maintained by those creating and developing the packages. There is no need to remove any snaps unless you truly don't want them. One Linux distribution, Deepin is using flatpack for their native applications, but that is work in progress and a mixed bag. Remember that you are using a development release and unlike a standard release updates maybe available more than once a day and there can be package manager and other types of problems, that's just part of testing.

There are also snaps that are added directly to the release repositories by Ubuntu developers and can include themes,calculator,and other applications.These applications will have Canonical listed as the publisher.

Code:
    snap list
    Name                   Version                  Rev   Tracking  Publisher     Notes
    core                   16-2.42.5                8268  stable    canonical✓    core
    core18                 20191212                 1288  stable    canonical✓    base
    gtk-common-themes      0.1-25-gcc83164          1353  stable    canonical✓

https://flathub.org/home

https://snapcraft.io/store
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:42 PM. Reason: Add Info
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Does this mean that when I daily run apt update/upgrade snap packages such as VLC (I installed it via Ubuntu Software and checked the details, and *it is* a snap package) and basically all of the other snaps *do not* get in fact upgraded?
    Meaning, I should remove the snap package in question, VLC to remain in the example, and then reinstall it again via apt/synaptic in order for it to update daily ?
    Snaps update automatically, and by default, the snapd daemon checks for updates 4 times a day. Each update check is called a refresh. apt does not handle snap package updating.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    apt does not handle snap package updating.
    Thanks for clarifying that, I just wasn't sure if and when snap updates would occur.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Remember that you are using a development release and unlike a standard release updates maybe available more than once a day and there can be package manager and other types of problems, that's just part of testing.
    Oh I'm not complaining about that
    I just wanted to understand better how the update process works in this "mixed" snap/apt environment exactly because I knew that in a development version updates would be more frequent and wanted to make sure I was getting them all...
    In a regular release I would just let Ubuntu notify me when updates were available, wouldn't really care about where they came from (snap repo or apt).
    Last edited by arkeo; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by arkeo View Post
    The problem seems to be gone with the latest updates
    Aaaand now it's back.

What is going on?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

You might want to back up and try a clean installation of the latest daily build. I upgraded during the last testing cycle and had the same problem until a clean installation was used. If i tried any form of manual updating the package system would often lock . The following command was a work-around though the clean installation saved more time in the long run.

Code:
    sudo fuser -vki /var/lib/dpkg/lock; sudo dpkg --configure -a
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/daily-live/pending/
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've been out the Linux world for a while and it just now occurred to me to actually identify the process before killing it...

It turns out it's packagekitd that keeps respawning, and it's keeping /var/lib/apt/lists/lock locked. I removed unattended-upgrades as well but it doesn't change anything that I can see...
    Last edited by arkeo; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have some virtual machines for testing where this kept happening. It was a combination due to Unattended Upgrades and me shutting down the VM without allowing it to install all the updates. I would get those pesky "Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock" errors all the time.

Until I found out it was due to Unattended Upgrades, I would normally fix it by using (source):

Code:
    sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/lock
    sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/lock
    sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    sudo apt install -f
    I know that's not exactly nice, but it works. But after disabling Unattended Upgrades, this stopped happening (maybe it happened two or three times since then, but very rarely anyway).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12