Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Best Linux distro for 32 bits old computer with 2GB ram?

Re: Best Linux distro for 32 bits old computer with 2GB ram?

Quote Originally Posted by CorporateMonkey View Post
    I was just wondering, wouldn't Debian be the better choice for a such old device?
    For an advanced user, perhaps so. But for a user asking a question like this in ubuntuforums, almost certainly not. I mean, I'm not a newbie anymore since I've been using linux for over a decade. But Debian still gives me chills. I stick to ubuntu-based distros.

A while back I used Lubuntu 18.04 LTS on an old 32-bit Celeron laptop with 2GB RAM, and it worked fine. Maybe there's an even lighter-weight ubuntu-based distro that would be better?

Beans

If I install the latest 32 bits Ubuntu, is it safe without updates or upgrades in future? Will keep using it for years after support expires.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Not if you connect it to the internet, no operating system is safe without updates if connected to the internet.

Beans

Sad that windows 10 has 32 bits version

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I've already given my thoughts re: Lubuntu and Xubuntu (I was testing both of them with old x86 machines until they stopped spinning ISOs back in Dec-2018 or the 19.04 cycle). They were both pretty good on single-core laptops with 1GB of ram.

Not all 32-bit laptops though equal. Debian and Ubuntu may class all x86 as i386, but upstream Linux kernel distinguishes between i386, i486, i586 & i686; which at times is important.I did a far bit of testing of Lubuntu 18.04.4 LTS on various x86 things (thinkpad t43, dell latitude d610, hp dx6120 etc (pentium m/4/d; minor Xub & Kub testing too).

I tried booting up Lubuntu 18.04.4 LTS on a thinkpad r50p (usually ignored as it's always on), but Lubuntu 18.04 wouldn't boot to my surprise! Whilst it too had a pentium M processor like the d610/t43/.., it had only a i586 class cpu & thus couldn't boot the 18.04.4 LTS flavors (I hadn't used it in testing in ages; it had >560 days uptime so it's been awhile since I tried booting anything on it; power in the street was disconnected longer than it's battery could stand)

Anyway, I booted Debian 10/buster LXQt & then XFCE (with non-free) on the r50p, and it's great on it. Debian still has support for i586 too (I knew it'd run debian old-old-stable (8) as it's run that for years; but it's EOL is approaching rather fast)

I don't see Debian as much different to Ubuntu; esp. since the ISOs with non-free have been available; but having started with Debian I probably don't notice the differences (there are just many situations where Ubuntu is easier and I'll skip Debian, though other circumstances I'll pick Debian too)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    I've already given my thoughts re: Lubuntu and Xubuntu (I was testing both of them with old x86 machines until they stopped spinning ISOs back in Dec-2018 or the 19.04 cycle). They were both pretty good on single-core laptops with 1GB of ram.

Not all 32-bit laptops though equal. Debian and Ubuntu may class all x86 as i386, but upstream Linux kernel distinguishes between i386, i486, i586 & i686; which at times is important.I did a far bit of testing of Lubuntu 18.04.4 LTS on various x86 things (thinkpad t43, dell latitude d610, hp dx6120 etc (pentium m/4/d; minor Xub & Kub testing too).

I tried booting up Lubuntu 18.04.4 LTS on a thinkpad r50p (usually ignored as it's always on), but Lubuntu 18.04 wouldn't boot to my surprise! Whilst it too had a pentium M processor like the d610/t43/.., it had only a i586 class cpu & thus couldn't boot the 18.04.4 LTS flavors (I hadn't used it in testing in ages; it had >560 days uptime so it's been awhile since I tried booting anything on it; power in the street was disconnected longer than it's battery could stand)

Anyway, I booted Debian 10/buster LXQt & then XFCE (with non-free) on the r50p, and it's great on it. Debian still has support for i586 too (I knew it'd run debian old-old-stable (8) as it's run that for years; but it's EOL is approaching rather fast)

I don't see Debian as much different to Ubuntu; esp. since the ISOs with non-free have been available; but having started with Debian I probably don't notice the differences (there are just many situations where Ubuntu is easier and I'll skip Debian, though other circumstances I'll pick Debian too)
    All ubuntu based disto with 32bits will be out of support and update very soon so I would not cobsider. I will try Debian iso witj non free, had hard time tried to install wifi driver and display driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Best Linux distro for 32 bits old computer with 1 or 2GB ram?

Quote Originally Posted by bunny9000 View Post
    2GB DDR2 RAM costs 10$ on ebay. Then you can easily use ubuntu mate or lxde without worrying about the ram issue.
    Could be that he is at RAM limit now. RAM limitation is determined by CPU/MB constraints.
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

There is also Debian Stretch with Raspberry Pi Desktop that can be downloaded here, https://www.raspberrypi.org/download...ry-pi-desktop/
    The Raspberry Pi Desktop (for x86 machines) has a logically conceived desktop - easy to setup and configure. Don't know if they have a version based on Buster yet.
    I will probably install it on my atom-powered Acer netbook when Xubuntu 18.04 (x86) support is no more next year.
    Last edited by him610; 3 Days Ago at 02:34 AM. Reason: misinformation corrected
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345