Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Partition guide

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Partition guide

Quote Originally Posted by hamid-azizi View Post
    What about reinstall os ? Is it smart to save files in os drive and move them when want reinstall os ?
    It is useful to have a separate partition for your data. Of course you should have backups, but when you want a fresh install of your OS (because you broke it or because you want to move the the next release), it's very easy when you can simply mount your data afterwards without a need to restore your backups. That can save some time. In particular if, like I, you don't keep complete backups of your home directory. To save space and make creation of backups faster, I don't have backups of any stuff I compiled myself (executables, PDFs). Instead, I create only backups of the sources from which they are generated. Similarly, I don't have backups of stuff I can download again. Faster backup, slower restore, but I spend much more time creating backups than restoring them anyway.

Typically, you want about 25GB for the OS and use the rest for data, for example a /home partition. But I don't know where your virtual machine will be stored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    It is useful to have a separate partition for your data. Of course you should have backups, but when you want a fresh install of your OS (because you broke it or because you want to move the the next release), it's very easy when you can simply mount your data afterwards without a need to restore your backups. That can save some time. In particular if, like I, you don't keep complete backups of your home directory. To save space and make creation of backups faster, I don't have backups of any stuff I compiled myself (executables, PDFs). Instead, I create only backups of the sources from which they are generated. Similarly, I don't have backups of stuff I can download again. Faster backup, slower restore, but I spend much more time creating backups than restoring them anyway.

Typically, you want about 25GB for the OS and use the rest for data, for example a /home partition. But I don't know where your virtual machine will be stored.
    Do i need separate ntfs to share with windows in virtual machine ? Or windows will write in home directory ? Where files will be saved when im doing design in windows ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Every "cook" has a slightly different recipe.

It depends on which hypervisor you plan to use where VMs might be stored. It also depends on you storage management choices at installation time which would work best. Also, how partitioning should be done is dependent on whether UEFI or legacy BIOS is being used to boot.

Windows likes to have 60G+ for itself.

I've posted my "ideal" partitioning in these forums a few times, since this question comes up weekly. I think 8G is overkill for swap. Each cook here has different experiences, which is why we have slightly different answers. https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....7#post13883277 shows mine. On my VM hosts, I use a separate LV for each VM. There are many reasons to do it that way. Someone new to Linux shouldn't probably shouldn't use LVM, but just take the partition sizes and mount points for a guide. LVM is an enterprise storage technique, so if you are familiar with Veritas Storage Manager and File System, it isn't hard to understand.

We will all agree that you need daily, versioned, backups that can be restored to get the system back the way it was prior to any failure. If you need to restore to completely different hardware, the backups should support that scenario. I use specific partitioning to make backups and recovery easier.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12