Thread: Graphics chip risking damage?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Graphics chip risking damage?

My on-board graphics processor is one step below the recommended minimum GPU on Tom's GPU chart for SuperTuxKart v0.8. The stability, performance and reliability, however, all appear to be more than sufficient for my needs.

I've read that using a Power Supply rated less than recommended for an application can lead to premature failure of a system. Is there a similar concern for graphics cards?

I have briefly experimented with both an Nvidia Geforce GT220 and an ATI Radeon HD4550. Both provide improved rendering for the game but neither provided the same overall level of stability and ease of use of the on-board graphics chip.
    Last edited by pme 72; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Graphics chip risking damage?

If the game runs fine for you, it runs. Power supplies have to supply power to the hardware, and that power varies as to how hard the CPU and GPU, and memory have to work.

Running very demanding applications (the kind that heat up chips, which mostly are games) without sufficient power is definitely bad, but most PCs these days do have sufficient power supplies.

What do you mean by stability and ease of use?

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Re: Graphics chip risking damage?

On X19.10 the GT220 returns from suspend to a black screen with a white blinking cursor in the upper left corner. I reboot. No apparent issues with 16.04 or 18.04. I recall having it in for about a month once but typically it's in for only a couple of days, a couple of times a year.

The HD4550 has been returning from suspend with reduced functionality for about 5 years. I stopped using it other than an occasional test run with new installations. It was fan less but seemed to run hot so I always installed it along side a dedicated GPU fan.
    Last edited by pme 72; December 15th, 2019 at 03:09 AM. Reason: clarification & punctuation