Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TaskBars Keep Locking Up

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: TaskBars Keep Locking Up

I still don't use Gnome, so I can't help you with the problem, but I can say that you can run the two commands together to save yourself some small annoyance;

Code:
    killall gnome-panel && gnome-panel &
    will kill the panels then, if that succeeds, launch them again - in the background so that you shouldn't need to keep your terminal window open.

Beans

Well... new piece of the puzzle. Both top and bottom task bars are locked up. I tried the [killall gnome-panel] trick again, but this time, the task bars aren't dying. I tried running that with -9. I tried running it as sudo... nothing. So that works when only the top bar is frozen, but not when both are.

I cannot believe that I am the only one this has ever happened to. Who am I kidding? I only have issues no one else has ever had.....

Beans

ummm... it's the dangdest thing, but.... I think I figured this out. I think my laptop was overheating. I noticed that the temperatures were running about 60°c which I didn't remember being abnormal, but then I saw that when Cura or FreeCAD were running, that would jump up to 80° at times. That, I knew was wrong so I took it to the shop and blew it out. Now, it runs between 36° and 60° at all times and has not locked up one single time since.

My (rhetorical) question, though is why would only the taskbars lock up while everything else continued running normally? I mean, I did not change or do anything else that could account for it not locking up anymore, so that has to be it... it just doesn't make sense.

Anyway... thank you all for your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12