Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TaskBars Keep Locking Up

Beans

TaskBars Keep Locking Up

I am running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with gnome-session-flashback installed. Been working flawlessly ever since 18.04 came out. Now, all of a sudden, the upper ([Applications][Places].....[*]) and lower (running applications) taskbars are refusing to respond or update. I can still use the running programs (I am typing this in a locked up state); I can ctrl-alt-T to get to terminal and run programs directly (which is how I got firefox up to post this); I can alt-tab between running programs....

The only programs running when this happened were (the most current) firefox, (the most current) thunderbird, and (an older version) Ulimaker Cura. I thought it might be cura causing it, because that seems to always be running when this occurs - although I have been running this same version for over a year with no issues. I tried ctrl-alt-f2 to kill the cura process using [killall -9 cura], but while that did kill the process, I am left with a [cura.sh <defunct>] entry; the taskbars still won't respond or update; and cura is still shown in the taskbar.

The only way out of this that I have found is to reboot. To my knowledge, nothing has been installed or updated since before this started happening. Does anyone happen to have any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: TaskBars Keep Locking Up

I haven't used gnome of any sort for quite a while now, but
    Code:
    killall gnome-panel
    might give your task manager enough of a kick to start behaving without having to do a full restart of the machine. I think it automatically respawns but, if it doesn't,
    Code:
    gnome-panel &
    should start it again.

Beans

If/When it locks up again, I will definitely try that. Thanks. Would still like to know why it keeps happening though....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    I haven't used gnome of any sort for quite a while now, but
    Code:
    killall gnome-panel
    might give your task manager enough of a kick to start behaving without having to do a full restart of the machine. I think it automatically respawns but, if it doesn't,
    Code:
    gnome-panel &
    should start it again.
    OK.. it is locked up now. I tried doing as you suggested and issuing the killall command did not kill the gnome-panel instance. I am able to verify this through ps -A. I even tried adding -9, but that didn't kill it either.

Something else that I've noticed that might add another clue to this mystery... I went to click on the [Reply With Quote] button here on the forums and when I did, it accepted the click, but it was as if I were holding the left mouse button down - the button was dragged around as I moved the mouse until the page loaded....

Beans

So this is still happening if someone could help me diagnose it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Although this does not solve the issue, it can help isolating the issue: does it work again after restarting gnome shell, i.e., hit Alt+F2, type "r" and press "Enter". Can you certify that you are only using officially supported Gnome-Shell extensions? If you use third party extensions (i.e., installed from the Gnome Shell Extensions website) then disable them all, and see if the issue is gone. If yes, then enable one by one to find the faulty extension.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Although this does not solve the issue, it can help isolating the issue: does it work again after restarting gnome shell, i.e., hit Alt+F2, type "r" and press "Enter". Can you certify that you are only using officially supported Gnome-Shell extensions? If you use third party extensions (i.e., installed from the Gnome Shell Extensions website) then disable them all, and see if the issue is gone. If yes, then enable one by one to find the faulty extension.
    To my knowledge/memory, I haven't installed any gnome shell extensions at all.

When I press Alt+F2, it pulls up the drop down [Application] menu pn my top taskbar. Hitting 'r' and 'enter' doesn't do anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You meant that Alt+F1 is pulling down your application menu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    You meant that Alt+F1 is pulling down your application menu.
    I'm sorry... you're right. I'm an idiot. I was hitting the wrong key. When I hit the right key, I got the window you were telling me to use.

My taskbars are locked up right now, so I tried hitting Alt-F2 (making sure I hit the right key sequence this time) and nothing happens. That window doesn't come up. My only option is to hit Ctrl-Alt-T and issue either a 'reboot' or 'shutdown' command in terminal.

Beans

OK... so... -=[UPDATE]=-

Today, for some reason, the top panel (the one with [Applications][Places][*]) partially locked up. I could still access all of the quickstart icons and the[*] shutdown menu, but [Applications] and [Places] wouldn't open. I tried [Alt-F2][r][enter] and it just told me that there was no [r] command. Looking around, I found that I could run [killall gnome-panel] to supposedly kill the panels and they would restart. Well, they shut down all right, but didn't restart. I had to do a [Ctrl-Alt-T] to get to the terminal and run [bohup gnome-panels &] to get them back. Once they were running again, I could again access both.

This is really getting old and any help anyone has on how to diagnose this would be GREAT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast