Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to resize Ubuntu 18.04 Partition on Dual Boot Windows 10

Beans

How to resize Ubuntu 18.04 Partition on Dual Boot Windows 10

I have Dual booted Ubuntu 18.04 on my C Drive alongside Windows 10 Allocated 25G to Ubuntu., and now want to increase to 100G.. my C drive has 300G allocated freespace... I am unsure as how to do this, as I tried partitioning on Windows but it would not let me increase my Ubunto partition ... I have downloaded Gparted from ubuntu software on my Ubuntu OS... but i am still unclear as how to do it.

Any help for a Newbie Ubuntu user would be most grateful.

Thanks in Advance

Beans

Re: How to resize Ubuntu 18.04 Partition on Dual Boot Windows 10

Boot Ubuntu, open a terminal and run the below command and post the output here. It's a lower case Letter L in the command.

Code:
    sudo parted -l
    There is a difference between having unallocated space which in not included in any partition and having free space in a partition. Which is it with windows? The above command will show that. You won't be able to use GParted on the installed Ubuntu because it will not resize a partition in use. You could use the DVD/USB you used to install Ubuntu as GParted is on it. Using GParted is explained in detail in their manual which is at the link below.

https://gparted.org/display-doc.php%...%3Dhelp-manual

Beans

Yanek .. thanks for the quick reply

Unfortunately the free space is also on my C drive on windows 10.

I have the read the link you attached (thanks for that).. again my problem is everything is on my C drive... not my partition for ubuntu.

is there a way to delete my unbuntu partition without losing the data on it and then make a bigger partition and keep the existing data.... or just reinstall ubuntu and start all over again. and lose my existing settings on ubuntu.

Sorry to be such a pain and a computer idiot.

here is the data you requested....

Model: ATA TOSHIBA MQ01ABD1 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
    Partition Table: msdos
    Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 1049kB 501GB 501GB primary ntfs boot
    2 501GB 528GB 26.2GB extended
    5 501GB 528GB 26.2GB logical ext4
    3 528GB 1000GB 473GB primary ntfs
    Last edited by zash1957; December 11th, 2019 at 02:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Making the ext4 partition larger will be a pain, but you can reduce either of the Windows/NTFS partitions in size, create a new partition in that empty space, format an ext4 file system, then use it inside Ubuntu.

Any shrinking of Windows partitions should be done in Windows.

BTW, "C: Drive" isn't technically accurate. It is a "C: partition" and it appears you also have a D: partition.

25G is a good size for an Ubuntu OS. So I'd make the new partition used for /home/.
    If you are afraid of any data loss, and you should be, then make a backup of anything you don't want to lose. It is very common for someone new to partitioning and file systems to make a mistake, wiping out everything.

Please make a backup before starting. Please.
    Last edited by TheFu; December 11th, 2019 at 03:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post

Any shrinking of Windows partitions should be done in Windows.

+1 (Using Manage).

Beans

is there a way to delete my unbuntu partition without losing the data on it
    No. Interesting that you have windows 10 on a Legacy/msdos drive. Question is, what's on partition 3 which shows as a 473GB drive? Is that a data partition? You don't seem to have the standard recovery partition windows uses so...?

It should be possible but it's going to be convoluted and you might be better off trying to save your data and setting and reinstall. You could use windows Disk Management to either shrink partition 3 at the end of the drive, moving it to the right to create additional room for Ubuntu. THis will take some time as it will probably need to move all the data also (not sure what's on that partition. After moving this partition to the right, you could use GParted from the Ubuntu install media to move the Ubuntu partition to the right to take up the newly created unallocated space. Make sure the Ubuntu partition is NOT mounted before doing this.

OR, shrink the windows system partition (partition 1) again using Disk Management in windows. This might be simpler as it will be moving the partition to the left and there probably is not data at the end of the partition so it should be faster. After doing this, again boot the Ubuntu install media and use GParted and unmount partition 5 then unmount partition 2. You could then move partition 2 (Extended partition) to the left to use up the unallocated space, after doing that, move partition 5 to the left also to use up the unallocated space.

Beans

TheFu

Thanks for your advice.

I understsand that i need to do any resizing in Windows.. but i do not know how to format an ext4 file system, then use it inside Ubuntu.... I am a complete novice on the tech side of things. ... in my windows system my ubuntu partition is on my C drive, but I also have a complete empty hard drive, my D drive... of 500gb.. is there any way i can transfer my C partition and move it to my D drive and use that as my ubuntu system ?

Beans

Just saw your last post. Formatting a Linux partiition ext4 or any other filesystem type can be done during the installation but this means an end/loss of any data on that partition. You can also do it from GParted on the Ubuntu install media.

in my windows system my ubuntu partition is on my C drive, but I also have a complete empty hard drive, my D drive... of 500gb.. is there any way i can transfer my C partition and move it to my D drive and use that as my ubuntu system ?
    The output of the parted command you posted above shows only 1 drive of 1TB (1000GB), with the older Legacy/msdos drive with your Ubuntu installed on a Logical partition within an Extended partition andd is not on your C partition. Moving the windows install to another physical drive is a question you'd be better off asking at windows forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I don't think you have 2 drives. I think you have 2 partitions - C: and D:. Windows calls these "drives", which is completely incorrect, inaccurate, wrong.

If it were me, I'd resize the last partition to free up space either before or after the last partition. This is outside the Extended partition. Then I'd take that free space, create a primary partition inside it, then create an ext4 file system into that partition. After you do this, come back for next steps.

There is only room for 1 more primary partition. This is a limitation of using MBR/MSDOS partition tables. This is also required by Windows because it isn't use UEFI to boot, so you can't use a much more flexible GPT partition table which has basically unlimited partition support.

The extended partition is sized only 26G and fully used by Linux. I have no idea how this happened or why. Seems really funny. Unfortunately, resizing the extended partition isn't allowed if there is any logical partition inside them.
    If you are afraid of any data loss, and you should be, then make a backup of anything you don't want to lose. It is very common for someone new to partitioning and file systems to make a mistake, wiping out everything.

Please make a backup before starting. Please.
    I want to be very clear. This stuff can be risky to all your data on the disk. Windows and Linux. All of it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Unfortunately, resizing the extended partition isn't allowed if there is any logical partition inside them.
    That's not true. You can't move the boundaries of the extended partition container past the boundaries of the logical partitions inside, obviously, but you can move either end through unpartitioned space, and you can slide logical partition start and end points around within the extended partition. You just need none of the partitions to be mounted. And it might take a very long time when you're moving start points.

Agreed on the need for backups, and that both Windows and MBR make this more of a pain than it could be otherwise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast