Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a couple of questions about wifi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

a couple of questions about wifi.

hi.
    I been using ubuntu lst releases for several years and just recently installed the new version of ubuntu and find a sertting in wifi that I dont underrstand the meaning of. I cant find anything on google or the danish ubuntu foirum userguides but its titled flytilstand which directly translated is airplane settings on/off and since I live nearby a airport I would really like to know what that setting does ?

the uname -output for that question is

Linux unix 5.0.0-37-generic #40~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Nov 14 12:06:39 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I live in a area where lots of planes or helicopters come by often. its both medical and military and regular airports that happens to be at a close range to where I live in so I see and hear planes everyday and often a helicopter .
    hope someone can explain me exactly what it is and what it does.

thanks for your time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: a couple of questions about wifi.

airplane mode disabled all RF devices on a computer. This is the same as tablets and smartphones.
    It disables wifi and bluetooth. Basically, using either is/was forbidden during take-off and landing on commercial airlines.

However, since all RF is a 1/r**2 law, the idea that wifi radio in any portable computing device can impact copper wires outside the passenger cabin isn't scientifically sound. Whatever. Soccer mommies rule the airport security world.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thanks.
    that helped me a lot.

where can I find the man pages on this ?

thank you .

Beans
    Distro

Have you searched all the local manpages with apropos for the programs? Getting useful results from apropos for tertiary functions is nearly impossible. The manpage for the program with the settings should have something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    airplane mode disabled all RF devices on a computer. This is the same as tablets and smartphones.
    It disables wifi and bluetooth. Basically, using either is/was forbidden during take-off and landing on commercial airlines.

However, since all RF is a 1/r**2 law, the idea that wifi radio in any portable computing device can impact copper wires outside the passenger cabin isn't scientifically sound. Whatever. Soccer mommies rule the airport security world.
    Correct.

Its only use, as far as I know, is when you are actually on board the airplane and you are instructed to turn off all wireless devices. After you set your wifi to Airplane Mode, you can still use your laptop, tablet or phone to watch a movie that you previously downloaded, continue working on you next novel on a word processor, or, everyones favorite, play solitaire.

Living near the airport and necessarily using wireless should be no danger at all.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I did not know that command apropos . thanks.

Beans
    Distro

I use airplane mode all-the-time with phones and tablets. It is a quick way to avoid city RF tracking poles claiming to be used as "Smart Cities" without having to use a Faraday pouch. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5134626/ They call it Internet of People.

I prefer not to be tracked and will accept a little inconvenience to make that just a little harder. I used to work in telecom and for the federal govt. Nobody is really out to track me specifically, except data brokers trying to sell my location data so others can sell us stuff. Once the data is captured, it has been used by govts world-wide in phishing for criminals without using warrants.

Being paranoid only makes sense when there are proven reasons.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

sorry but I could not find the manpages on the progrram. what I need to know is how to configure internet and wireless from commandline if need be.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wolftrax View Post
    sorry but I could not find the manpages on the progrram. what I need to know is how to configure internet and wireless from commandline if need be.
    Here's a start:

Code:
    $ apropos wifi
    wifi (1)             - enable/disable internal wifi (wireless lan) device

$ apropos bluetooth
    blueman-applet (1)   - a tray applet for managing bluetooth
    blueman-assistant (1) - application for configuring and pairing bluetooth devices
    blueman-manager (1)  - bluetooth device manager
    blueman-sendto (1)   - application for sending files to bluetooth devices
    blueman-services (1) - Configure local bluetooth services
    bluetooth (1)        - enable/disable internal bluetooth device
    bluetoothctl (1)     - bluetooth control tool
    bluetoothd (8)       - Bluetooth daemon
    btmon (1)            - Bluetooth monitor
    ciptool (1)          - Bluetooth Common ISDN Access Profile (CIP)
    gatttool (1)         - tool for Bluetooth Low Energy device
    hciconfig (1)        - configure Bluetooth devices
    hcitool (1)          - configure Bluetooth connections
    hid2hci (1)          - Bluetooth HID to HCI mode switching utility
    mpris-proxy (1)      - Bluetooth mpris-proxy
    Your system is most definitely different from mine, so the manpages available will be different. I use wicd-curses for wifi setup. Most Ubuntu-flavored desktops would use network manager ... network-manager{tab} and nm-{tab} should show those programs, if they are in the PATH.

Network configuration has changed drastically the last few years. The exact ubuntu release you are running will have different answers then others.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thanks. I run ubuntu and but running apropos gives me no man pages.

uname -a
    Linux unix 5.0.0-37-generic #40~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Nov 14 12:06:39 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

apropos wifi
    wifi: ingenting egnet.

I am Danish so perhaps its why there is no manual entries for it or its not installed.

the output of man man will give me man pages on the man program in Danish so I figure its because there is no translated man pages for wifi yet or its simply not installed.

the reason I ask is because I got a old computer I want to use as commandline system only and it ran freeDOS and minimal freeBSD install and it can run solaris 10 as well but I need to buy a wireless adapter because its so old that it has no build in wireless and I want to be able to configure it in a console only environment.

its a old HP pavilion ze5600 that I been trying to get to run something useful with a desktop but the only thing that is not so slow is solaris 10 and desktop BSD 8.2 other than that I cant find a linux distribution that is not too slow. some distributions cant find the hardware either , its the graphics card that usually is the problem but on opensolaris it wont find the drivers for the soundcard. Debian buster wont find the graphics card either.

I just want to see if I can find something useful to do with it its not a matter of life or death but it would be nice to get it to work with wireless internet as well. the power supply must always be plugged in because there is no battery capacity anymore so if I could get wireless on it that would be much easier to find a place where it can stand in a other room without having to use cabled connection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast