Thread: do keyboard shortcuts (hotkeys) work in other display environments?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

do keyboard shortcuts (hotkeys) work in other display environments?

i run Xubuntu 18.04 LTS which has XFCE version 4.12. i am using it keyboard shortcut and am wondering if other display environments, like Gnome, KDE, LXDE, and so on, support doing this. i can have them do anu command i want to do. i have several set to switch to specific users and others switch workspaces. this even works when firefox opens a site, such as a youtube video, in full screen mode. they work in full scree mode.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: do keyboard shortcuts (hotkeys) work in other display environments?

Yes. They all do.

This has been part of the X11 Window Manager since the early 1990s, perhaps longer.
    LXDE uses the openbox WM. There is a config file that controls openbox, including ways to make keyboard shortcuts work.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: do keyboard shortcuts (hotkeys) work in other display environments?

so something outside of xfce carries out the actions but a menu app in each DE sets it? it sure looked like it was an xfce feature since an xfce menu was pulled up to set it. i have then found the file the shortcuts are stored in (an XML file). this lets me do identical settings in all users by copying this file around. the path to the file is ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml which further made me believe it was an xfce feature. i'm guessing other DEs store it elsewhere. but how does the X11 Window Manager get the settings? i'm guessing that it does not read that file directly. a library thing?

to change shortcuts i now just edit that .xml file (i have to trick emacs to believe it is not .xml) and re-distribute it. i'm a long time no GUI just CLI user. now that hardware is fast enough that a graphical terminal is fast enough, i've moved to GUI so i can access graphical stuff like firefox right along side my CLI terminals. learning how to do multiple users logged in concurrently, how to switch between them rapidly (shortcuts, more rapid than a menu), and the same for workspaces, this all now beats the old text console. shortcuts are great for me since i am still very keyboard oriented.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer