Thread: how to change the greeter background

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

how to change the greeter background

i'd like to change the greeter background. how can i do that?

i notice that the greeter background is different for some users, can i set a different background image for each user the greeter menu has selected?
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: how to change the greeter background

By default, the greeter picks up the desktop background of the user that is currently selected. That could be considered a privacy issue, but that is how it is setup. Thus, apparently it already does what you would like.

I am not sure if it might be possible to set a background for each user that differs from the user's desktop background. The alternative is to set a fixed background that does not depend on the selected user.

Beans
    Distro

it doesn't pick up any user background on my Xubuntu 18.04 LTS. two of the users it shows different background for have the same background when logged in.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans

Strange. It picks up my chosen wallpaper as the greeting background (Xubu 18.04).

Menu --> Settings Manager --> LightDm GTK + Greeter Settings (root password required) --> Background.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Artim; December 9th, 2019 at 11:24 AM.

Learning American Sign Language - just for fun.

Beans
    Distro

first it prompted me for authentication by asking me for the password of the wrong user. i see the problem, now. it only does wallpaper, not background. the users all have a color gradient for a background, not a wallpaper image file.

for fun, i set the color in this menu to light purple, closed the menu, and logged out to get the greeter. it briefly showed light purple. then it showed the wallpaper it has been showing before. i changed the greeter menu to admin and it changed to light purple and stayed that way. back to the LightDM setting menu. now i can't get the wallpaper setting it previously had, back. but it was probably overwriting it with the unknown wallpaper it still shows me when the greeter menu selects non-admin users, which is not what i get when i login. so now one mystery is solved and another mystery is more prominent (where is this wallpaper set at). that and how can i set a wallpaper or background in the greeter that will stay?