Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Supply or Motherboard

Beans

Power Supply or Motherboard

One of my computers is dead. I tested the PS with a paper clip. I attached two fans to it. They all spun. Next, i tested that PS on my working computer. It was dead. What is going on?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Power Supply or Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by daniell59 View Post
    One of my computers is dead. I tested the PS with a paper clip. I attached two fans to it. They all spun. Next, i tested that PS on my working computer. It was dead. What is going on?
    Most computer shops will have a PSU tester. Just because fan leads are working, that doesn't mean the 24V main lead is solid.

A bad PSU can fry motherboards, GPUs, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Fans are 12V, other internals are 5V, and memory is even less voltage. Lose any of them, and you are dead. You at least need a power supply at this point.

Beans

Would you trust a store brand? Insignia Their TV has lasted a long time. At my age, things don't have to last too long.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by daniell59 View Post
    Would you trust a store brand? Insignia Their TV has lasted a long time. At my age, things don't have to last too long.
    For about 10 yrs, I used the PSU that came with the case. Everything was fine. Then it fried a GPU and died.

The last 10 yrs, I've been using either Corsair or Seasonic PSUs with an 80% bronze efficiency or better. I wait for them to go on sale before pre-buying for a system build.

All purchases have a risk. If the store brand has a 1 yr warranty, I wouldn't have an issue buying for someone else's computer. I'm at the stage of my life where spending $20 extra to get better quality is worth not having the hassle of early failures, higher efficiency and lower heat output. That is a risk too, since some store brand/white label equipment will be made by the exact same vendors.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I would trust a store brand as much as anyone else's. You can always get a bad one......doesn't matter who's name is on it. I have a machine sitting on repair bench right now:800W PSU and a rather well known name brand (known for high power PSUs for gaming). Machine was way over-built and does not need any PSU that large. 1 1/2 years old and dead.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I would disagree.

While manufacturing defects may occur with any brand -- no brand is perfect -- quality control and defects per units produced can vary widely. Both a brand with 10% defective units and a brand with 0.1% defective units will ultimately sell defective units. I'd go with the brand that sells 0.1% defective units.

Beyond that there are issues like longevity, nominal voltage versus actual voltage, voltage fluctuation, cooling, etc. Those sorts of things are far more likely to be satisfactory in name brands than silver boxes. Under/over voltage, voltage fluctuations, current fluctuations and the like can damage other components and cause significant emotional events.

My advice is to never, ever, cheap out on power supplies. And never try to shave it close on wattage. A unit running well under its nominal wattage will stay cooler and last longer. Never use a silver box. Find some place else to economize.

Just my two cents based on experience since the '70s. Take it or leave it.
    Last edited by QIII; December 7th, 2019 at 10:03 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Don't skip on the wattage: that I will agree with. Unless a gaming machine or you have more than 2 HDs in it, 500W is plenty. A lot of OE PSUs are under 300W and run fine for many years.

Beans

I was reading reviews of power supplies. Many have reviews describing how the PS failed and fried their expensive components.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

That is always possible. Generally when PSUs die, they just quit making voltage. They can over-produce voltage, but that is rare. You have to realize that a lot of those reports are from people who really don't have a clue what actually happened. Personally, I have replaced probably 80 PSUs and have yet to see where any failed one damaged anything else.

Now, you can have another component die and short out the PSU. This is probably what happens, but the PSU gets blamed. Before I retired, we had about 70 computers in the office. We probably replaced 20 or 30 PSUs in the average year. Simple thing done right at the desk: replace PSU, boot computer, go on to next job.

You are really worrying too much about this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast