Thread: the best password manager for Ubuntu (i'm building a list)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

the best password manager for Ubuntu (i'm building a list)

1. modern encryption using openssl
    2. both GUI and CLI operation
    3. complete action by commands if enough info provided (not just a curses interactive thing)
    4. agent operation so passphrase only need be entered once (until some time passes w/o use or screen is locked or user logs out)
    5. written in C or C++ or ObjC or Perl5 or Python3
    6. a repository .deb required, Snap optional
    7. internationalized a plus

these do, of course, include my own personal requirements. i'm building a list of premium free (as in speech) open source (you can compile it yourself as needed). what other parameters should i measure by to build this list?

i'm thinking about making other lists of other software i use, too.
    You can't have my Windows 95 until you pry it from my cold dead 1 GB IDE hard drive.

Beans

Re: the best password manager for Ubuntu (i'm building a list)

There are so many, it really gets down to preference.

My pw manager is open source Keepass or Keepass XC. Small footprint, you can run it from a USB stick, versions for Windows or Linux (MacPass for Mac,) the DB's are portable, compatible with any platform, and encrypted. Only have to ever remember one password ever again. When copying any data to paste elsewhere the clipboard is flushed in a duration you configure (default is 5 seconds.) Storage is local, no cloud storage for me. Lots of other features too, I've never had a need for anything else.

https://keepass.info/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use bitwarden as a spouse-friendly, convenient and cross-platform solution, but I don't know how it matches up with your pantheon of requirements.
    regards

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

i'd still have to remember the password to my encrypted filesystem when booting up. i don't want that one to be the same as the password database.
    You can't have my Windows 95 until you pry it from my cold dead 1 GB IDE hard drive.

Beans

^ ^ Haha okay, so it's **two** passwords. Or three, counting Ubuntu login . . . much better than the 500 or so I have in Keepass.