Thread: Sending activity in System Monitor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Sending activity in System Monitor

My System monitor on 18.04 is showing what appears to be regular periods of continual Sending activity. Total sent is now reading 19.8MiBs.

"That means it will take about 500 pages of text to equal one megabyte." -from https://pc.net › helpcenter › answers › how_much_text_in_one_megabyte

1 MiB =500 pages
    20 MiB = 10,000 pages?

Should I be concerned?
    Last edited by pme 72; December 6th, 2019 at 10:35 PM. Reason: clarify

Beans

Re: Sending activity in System Monitor

Depends, how long of a time frame, and what programs have you got open. Also how much is receiving amount?

Beans

It also depends on what you're doing. TCP connections require responses. Your system is also constantly communicating with the router. Wanna see what's going communicating? Install and run wireshark. Launch it while all browsers and internet facing applications are closed/disabled. You'll see the constant activity.

There is the option in Gnome settings, under networking, to restrict background communications.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

20 MiBs over the period of perhaps half an hour or so. My notes do not indicate what I was working on at the time but there were probably some updates and other activity, perhaps 300+MiBs downloaded during that period.
    I'm thinking that I probably accepted the "Yes, send system info to Canonical” option when 18.04 was installed.
    Last edited by pme 72; December 8th, 2019 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Add