Thread: Ubuntu 18.04 logs me out after suspend/resume if connected to external screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Question Ubuntu 18.04 logs me out after suspend/resume if connected to external screen

Hi,
    I am having a strange problem with already two laptops using Ubuntu 18.04 Gnome (Vanilla Gnome session). If the laptop is suspended while connected to an external screen, when I resume it, I see the log in screen, and have to log in again to the computer. When I do, the session comes up with all my apps killed, just like a new login, but in a locked state, and I have to type my password again.

If the laptop is not connected to anything, suspending and resuming works normally; apps come up in the same state as before suspend, there is only the one password prompt and no login screen.

I have these versions of gnome-related packages installed: https://pastebin.com/GgnbhsSV
    My grub CMDLINE has:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash usbcore.autosuspend=-1 mem_sleep_default=deep nvidia-drm.modeset=0"

The two affected laptops are a Thinkpad T480S and Asus Zenbook S13 UX392FN: https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-ZenBook-S13-UX392FN/
    Both laptops have dual graphics, and use nVidia graphics through the out-of-the-box offloading that you get when you install Ubuntu 18.04 and enable the nVidia driver.

EDIT: I think I am getting bitten by this:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1035...050201#1050201
    The issue is described there as follows:
    the most frequent symptom is a crash of Xorg/Xwayland, i.e. killing the entire GUI, when a laptop is woken from system sleep. Frequency of the bug is described as once every few days[2].

Kernel version (uname -a):
    Linux lgz-UX392FN 5.0.0-37-generic #40~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Nov 14 12:06:39 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    I have added scsi_mod.scan=sync to kernel CMDLINE and checking out if that helps.

Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Vermind; December 11th, 2019 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Marked solved
    Vermind

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 logs me out after suspend/resume if connected to external screen

After adding scsi_mod.scan=sync to kernel CMDLINE I have not experienced this any more. This seems to be a working workaround. Marking this thread as solved.
    Vermind

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 logs me out after suspend/resume if connected to external screen

Sorry to hook up your thread @Vermind but I'm very intrested in running Linux on a zenbook S13 UX392 you mentioned.

Can you tell me a little about the hardware support? Does everything work like expected (beside the fingerprint reader which is badly placed inside the touchpad...). And how is the fan control? Is it on/loud very often or does it work silently on low loads with Linux?

Thanks!
    Last edited by zenb00ker; May 6th, 2020 at 10:24 PM.