Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to boot to Ubuntu after install

Beans

Unable to boot to Ubuntu after install

I started with a clean install of Windows 10 in UEFI mode. I've tried twice to install Kubuntu 18.04.3. There are no errors during the install. When it finishes and I take out the USB drive, it does not boot to the boot loader, just boots straight to Win10.

I have turned off fast boot and secure boot. I created the partitions by creating free space (100GB). I have 16GB of RAM, but did an 8GB swap and the rest for root /

The first time I tried the default to boot the boot loader on sda1. The second time I tried putting it on the Ext4 drive where / was mounted.

What am I missing?

Beans

Re: Unable to boot to Ubuntu after install

I rebooted and hit F9 for boot options. See first screen shot: I have the choice of:

1. OS Boot Manager - Boots to Win10
    2. Ubuntu

If I select Ubuntu, it loads the boot loader where I can choose Ubuntu or Windows.

f9s.jpg

So then I was hoping I could go into the Bios and change it to boot Ubuntu. The option isn't there, only OS Boot manager.

bios.jpg

Is there a way to add it so I don't have to hit F9 everytime?

Beans

The method of making a permanent change is done in the BIOS firmware. The F9 option is a one time boot. What is the manufacturer? Changing this varies with manufacturer. On my HP Notebook, the method is to hit Esc key on boot, then the F10 key to access the BIOS. Under the System Configuration tab I can arrow down to Boot Options with UEFI and Legacy options. Since you have UEFI, under UEFI Boot Options arrow to OS Boot Manager and hit the Enter key when it is highlighted and it shows the options (windows, ubuntu). To change, highlight an entry (ubuntu) and move it up to first choice. On the HP, I use the F6 key to move an entry up, then hit the F10 key and Enter to Save and exit. If you are not using an HP, you need to explore your BIOS for the options and method to change because they are NOT the same all on computers. You definitely need to use the F10 to access the BIOS, that shows up in the image you posted.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    The method of making a permanent change is done in the BIOS firmware. The F9 option is a one time boot. What is the manufacturer? Changing this varies with manufacturer. On my HP Notebook, the method is to hit Esc key on boot, then the F10 key to access the BIOS. Under the System Configuration tab I can arrow down to Boot Options with UEFI and Legacy options. Since you have UEFI, under UEFI Boot Options arrow to OS Boot Manager and hit the Enter key when it is highlighted and it shows the options (windows, ubuntu). To change, highlight an entry (ubuntu) and move it up to first choice. On the HP, I use the F6 key to move an entry up, then hit the F10 key and Enter to Save and exit. If you are not using an HP, you need to explore your BIOS for the options and method to change because they are NOT the same all on computers. You definitely need to use the F10 to access the BIOS, that shows up in the image you posted.
    It is an HP. It's an older one from around 2013.

I went into the bios using F10 and went to UEFI boot option. I highlighted OS Boot Manager, but there are no options to change.

bios.jpg

Beans

Didn't HP have some silly name restriction on bootloaders, so you had to name them all Windows Bootloader" or some such? Search here for HP setup inst or on askubuntu site. Also, maybe setting a supervisor password might open up mor options.

Beans

I went into the bios using F10 and went to UEFI boot option. I highlighted OS Boot Manager, but there are no options to change
    Strange. In your first post, the first image you posted shows 2 ubuntu entries you got using F9 so they should be accessible in the BIOS firmware. Don't know what else to suggest.

Didn't HP have some silly name restriction on bootloaders, so you had to name them all Windows Bootloader" or some such?
    I've read that in a number of places but it is not the case with my HP. Using Esc, F10 to access the BIOS similar to above, it shows windows plus the 3 Linux installs when I highlight OS Boot Manager and hit the Enter key.
    Last edited by yancek; December 5th, 2019 at 08:06 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Only if single booting Ubuntu may we still change UEFI boot menu description to "Windows Boot Manager". For dual boot systems, Windows overwrites that entry with UEFI update. Or when Windows breaks and grub does not boot it, you have no easy way to get into Windows. Or only Windows repair flash drive to fix Windows.

Better to use hard drive entry which is also UEFI fallback entry. That is the same /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi used to boot external drives, but has been valid for internal drives for several years.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I did some reading, will check the Windows boot menu here (screenshot is my work PC, not my home laptop):

Win10.JPG

If the above doesn't show a choice for Ubuntu, will try one of the following:

Plan A:

bcdedit /set{bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/for...nux-dual-boot/

Plan B:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/6666...oot-manager-on

Part 1: Accessing EFI folder on Windows

Open cmd as administrator and mount the EFI folder to access it. Execute the following commands one by one. Below I have assigned letter g to the mount, make sure you assign a unassigned letter in your PC.

mountvol g: /s
    g:
    cd EFI\
    You should see a Microsoft folder and Ubuntu folder within EFI.

Part 2: Copy grubx64.efi from Ubuntu to Microsoft\Boot\ as bootmgfw.efi

First create a backup of bootmgfw.efi

cd Microsoft\Boot\
    rename bootmgfw.efi bootmgfw_.efi
    Now do the copy and rename.

copy g:\EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi g:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
    rename grubx64.efi bootmgfw.efi
    Part 3: Unmount the EFI folder

Execute the following commands one by one.

c:
    mountvol g: /d
    Now reboot your PC and you should see Ubuntu GRUB load up which should have an option Windows UEFI loader to boot Windows as well.
    Last edited by suicideking; December 5th, 2019 at 10:52 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

That does work as long as grub can boot Windows.

But grub only boots working Windows.
    So when Windows does an update and turns fast start up back on, you will have no way to boot Windows. Or if Windows needs chkdsk, grub will not boot it.
    Be sure to make a Windows repair flash drive.
    And Windows updates will overwrite your update, so you have to redo it, so be sure to have Ubuntu live installer.

Best anyway to have Windows repair/recovery flash drive and Ubuntu live installer flash drives for current versions available at all times.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    That does work as long as grub can boot Windows.

But grub only boots working Windows.
    So when Windows does an update and turns fast start up back on, you will have no way to boot Windows. Or if Windows needs chkdsk, grub will not boot it.
    Be sure to make a Windows repair flash drive.
    And Windows updates will overwrite your update, so you have to redo it, so be sure to have Ubuntu live installer.

Best anyway to have Windows repair/recovery flash drive and Ubuntu live installer flash drives for current versions available at all times.
    Last night when I would get to grub using F9, it would boot Windows 10.

I'm not too worried about breaking Win10 (I'm a Windows Admin). I could probably use a Win10 flash drive to repair the boot if needed. Plus, this is a new SSD that I got this week. I still have my old (smaller) SSD in case I really break things. I could just clone it again using the Samsung util.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast