Thread: One line command to check if automatic updates are enabled

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

One line command to check if automatic updates are enabled

Hello,

I'm hoping I can use a one line command to confirm that automatic updates are enabled on ubuntu servers.

I'm considering using this command to look for the contents of the unattended updates file:

Code:
    cat /etc/apt/apt.conff.d/20auto-upgrades | paste -sd \; || echo "Unattended Upgrades not installed"
    Or perhaps this command is better to confirm the file exists (meaning if it doesn't exist then unattended upgrades is not installed):

Code:
    [[ -f /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades ]] && echo "unattended updates are enabled" || echo "unattended updates are not enabled";
    But are automatic updates on Ubuntu only through unattended upgrades? Are the above commands good ways to confirm (using a one line command) to check if my Ubuntu Servers will receive updates/upgrades automatically?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: One line command to check if automatic updates are enabled

I myself like to handle these things myself, but I get the reason your wanting it this way.
    The only thing that come to mind, is to check "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow unattended-upgrades"
    edit the files:
    Code:
    /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10periodic
    /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades
    In that file you can set how often you want the server to update.
    Code:
    APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists "1";
    APT::Periodic::Download-Upgradeable-Packages "1";
    APT::Periodic::AutocleanInterval "7";
    APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "1";
    The file should look like the above. The 1 means it will update every day. 7 is weekly.
    Another way to check if automatic updates work is waiting a few days and checking the unattended upgrades logs:
    Code:
    cat /var/log/unattended-upgrades/unattended-upgrades.log
    But I can't think of just a one liner for your needs, hope this helps.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans

The existence of this configuration file isn't enough to come to any conclusion since it might contain directives to switch updates OFF. There is a program for querying apt configuration named apt-config.
    Code:
    OPT=0;RES=$(apt-config shell OPT APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists);eval $RES;echo $OPT
    will print "1" if apt is set to automatically update the package lists while
    Code:
    OPT=0;RES=$(apt-config shell OPT APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade);eval $RES;echo $OPT
    should give "1" if unattended upgrades are active.

Holger

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks very much 1fallen and Holger for your replies to my post. Very much appreciate your input.

I think the command Holger has provided will do me well. I've modified it a bit to provide some context for me:

Code:
    python -mplatform | grep -qi Ubuntu && OPT=0;RES=$(apt-config shell OPT APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade);eval $RES;echo $OPT 2  / 2>&1 | grep -qi '1' ; case "$?" in "0") echo "unattended upgrades are enabled" ;; "1") echo "unattended upgrades are not enabled" ;; esac
    I scan both RHEL and Ubuntu servers in my environment so I had to add a check for if the server I'm on is Ubuntu or not. i don't think I have it quite right yet though as it seems to try and execute on my RHEL machines the apt-config code still... but it does provide for me human readable context on if a '1' is found then a message is printed to say unattended-upgrades are enabled on my Ubuntu servers.

Thanks!

Beans

Code:
    if [ $(lsb_release -si)x=='Ubuntu'x ] ; then O=0;R=$(apt-config shell O APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade);eval $R; echo -n unattended upgrades are" " ; if [ x$O==x1 ] ; then echo enabled; else echo disabled;fi;fi
    The command lsb_release should be available on Ubuntu and RHEL both. The Option -i outputs the id of the distribution, the -s suppresses the output of headers.

Holger

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@Holger here is what I get on Arch:
    Code:
    if [ $(lsb_release -si)x=='Ubuntu'x ] ; then O=0;R=$(apt-config shell O APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade);eval $R; echo -n unattended upgrades are" " ; if [ x$O==x1 ] ; then echo enabled; else echo disabled;fi;fi
    bash: apt-config: command not found
    unattended upgrades are enabled
    I have disabled Auto-Upgrades.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans

Thank you, 1fallen. Missing spaces around the comparison operators, I think. So second try:
    Code:
    if [ 'Ubuntu'x == $(lsb_release -si)x ] ; then O=0;R=$(apt-config shell O APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade);eval $R; echo -n unattended upgrades are" " ; if [ x$O == x1 ] ; then echo enabled; else echo disabled;fi;fi
    Gives me the correct output on Ubuntu; if I replace 'Ubuntu' with something else (to simulate running on a different system), I get no output; if I replace lsb_release with lsbx_release in that command (to simulate a system without that command) I get a 'command not found' error and no output; if I replace apt_config with apt_configx to simulate a strange situation (Ubuntu without apt-config ? I don't think so) I get "command not found" for apt_configx and "unattended upgrades are disabled" (which might be right or wrong, but the error before that should clue in the clueless ...).

Holger
    Last edited by Holger_Gehrke; 5 Days Ago at 09:49 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That works better:
    Code:
    if [ 'Ubuntu'x == $(lsb_release -si)x ] ; then O=0;R=$(apt-config shell O APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade);eval $R; echo -n unattended upgrades are" " ; 
    if [ x$O == x1 ] ; then echo enabled; else echo disabled;fi;fi
    Now the OP should be somewhat satisfied.
    Thanks Holger, we value your contributions here in UF.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans

One line command to check if automatic updates are enabled
    Wow. Amazing constructs. How about looking in systemd journal?

Code:
    dmn@Sydney-vm:~$ journalctl | grep unattended-upgrades.service | grep -i dec
    Dec 02 05:46:56 Sydney-vm systemd[1]: unattended-upgrades.service: Succeeded.
    Dec 04 12:09:23 Sydney-vm systemd[1]: unattended-upgrades.service: Succeeded.
    Would this suffice?

Beans

That service is part of the back end for unattended upgrades and gets started whether unattended upgrades are active or not. It's mostly concerned with postponing a shutdown until the package system is in a defined state (the name of the python script started by the service is unattended-upgrade-shutdown ...). The work of updating and upgrading is done by apt-daily.service and apt-daily-upgrade.service (Both are one-shot services that get started by timers). Checking the journal just tells you that it's been started in the past not whether it's currently running - that would be 'systemctl status unattended-upgrades' - nor whether the other two services are configured to actually do something - that would be the commands given above.

Holger

Edit:
    What version of Ubuntu is that, Dennis N ? On my XUbuntu 18.04 -- which I only reboot when an upgrade makes it necessary, so I've got several months worth of journal -- your journalctl|grep combo sits there for 2½ minutes and produces no output. The official way of filtering journal messages for a unit is the '-u' option followed by a unit name - 'journalctl -u unattended-upgrades' -- and that returns after about 4 seconds giving a screenful of messages...
    Last edited by Holger_Gehrke; 5 Days Ago at 12:56 AM.