Thread: Bridge Interface Not Passing Traffic

Beans

Bridge Interface Not Passing Traffic

Hello!

I am trying to setup a bridge between 2 network cards and I have successfully setup the bridge part but I have run into an issue passing traffic between the 2 interfaces.

By default it seems that in ubuntu 18.04 ufw is disabled by default and after I setup the bridge interface I have to run "sudo ufw disable" to get it to forward traffic. If i reboot the server the bridge will not pass traffic even though 'ufw status' shows that it is inactive and i will have to run 'ufw disable' after every reboot in order to get it to pass traffic. Alternatively if I enable forwarding 'ufw default allow FORWARD' and enable the firewall 'ufw enable' the bridge will pass traffic after reboot. So I have 2 solutions to my problem 1) cron job disabling the firewall after reboot or 2) enable the firewall

My question is... I am curious as to why I need to disable a disabled firewall in order to pass traffic or is having the firewall enabled a requirement that i cannot find listed in any documentation anywhere.

Hopefully someone can shed some light!

Cheers,
    Paul

Beans

Re: Bridge Interface Not Passing Traffic

Packet forwarding across interfaces in Ubuntu is disabled by default. Edit, with sudo, the file /etc/sysctl.conf and make sure the line that reads
    Code:
    net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
    is not disabled with a hash mark at the beginning of the line. If it is, remove the hash mark and reboot. Any better?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

UFW (which I do not use) is just a front end for iptables (which I do use). In addition to what Seiji already mentioned, Suggest to look at iptables contents for all of your scenarios as to what is different.
    Do:
    Code:
    sudo iptables -v -x -n -L
    sudo iptables -t nat -v -x -n -L
    OR
    Code:
    sudo iptables-save -c
    I just find the former easier to read.

It is odd that you have to disable ufw when it is disabled already.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans

Hey SeijiSensei and Doug,

Thanks for the quick reply!

Before posting I had found other solutions online and even the man for ufw had referenced changing the following setting which is similar but it i guess it only applies when UFW is enabled.
    /etc/ufw/sysctl.conf
    net/ipv4/ip_forward=1

Modifying the setting that SeijiSensei suggested seems to resolve the issue and everything is forwarding after reboots.

Thanks to both of you for your assistance!

Cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by pthorburn; December 4th, 2019 at 10:37 PM.