Thread: ram question

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

ram question

Someone gave me an old very nice laptop. I need to add ram and my question is:
    to add to the existing ram which is: 2Rx8 PCL 12800S 4GB can I use any PCL 12800S or does i also have to have the prefix of 2Rx8
    Also is it possible other ram types would be accepted? Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: ram question

2rx8 means that the memory modules are on both side of the card and not compatible with 1rx8 for voltage reasons. Staying with the same mhz is also a good idea unless you know minimum and maximum range for the device. You might find this on a site that has detailed specs for that computer. Some sites that specialize in selling memory may have a list of equivalent memory cards.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; 1 Week Ago at 05:28 PM.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

If you google your computer make and model plus upgrade ram, you should find a good list of pages that will give you recommendations.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The reason I am confused is I went to crucial and entered the patop model and it shows DDR3L-1600 SODIMM which is not even close to the ram installed now which is 2Rx8 PCL 12800S

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    The reason I am confused is I went to crucial and entered the patop model and it shows DDR3L-1600 SODIMM which is not even close to the ram installed now which is 2Rx8 PCL 12800S
    Believe it or not, it's the same thing. The only difference is that the term "DDR3L-1600 SODIMM" doesn't specify the rank.