Thread: My savings using Linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: My savings using Linux

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Who buys complete, new, computers?
    Among my friends and family, I find that almost all of them do. And they do so for the same reason that most of them use Windows: the prospect of rolling up their sleeves and dealing with the guts of a computer (or OS) makes their eyes glaze over.

So they would rather pay for a known quantity that makes no new intellectual demands on them than tackle yet another learning curve. I can't complain. This dynamic makes them my primary source for old HW.

But that just emphasizes another area where Linux shines. Example: I'm still happily running a 32-bit MOBO Atom-based 1 GB hybrid system on Xenial that won't even install Windows much less run that bloated resource hog.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

12-yr-old laptops or workstation ... have you looked at how much you could save in electricity by reducing this number and buying new, more efficient, systems?

I've found the savings to be noticeable on the house power bill after retiring a 2009 Core i7.
    Good point. There's a point at which salvaging old HW for the pure sake of salvage becomes counterproductive. However, the 12-yr workstation is rarely used. It's just a backup in case my main box bites the dust. It is turned on once a week for less than an hour for system updates and to mirror my data, then turned off again.

12 year old laptops are a different matter: they are not big electrical hogs and serve my needs well enough. Two are in use as Kodi boxes for my TVs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

My biggest saving made by using Linux was my sanity. Vista nearly pushed my temper over the edge on a few occasions; my monitor was existing with the constant threat of getting punched out at the time . The problems were not vista specific more Microsofts way of controlling the OS and locking the OS down from user control which still existed with Win7 and later on Win8 as well; updates were close to the top of the list of anger inducing hassles for me.

When I discovered Gutsy in '07 it was such a relief to find an OS that I was finally allowed to fully control for myself. I am sure that there were some dollars saved over time with the switch though I've never really calculated such for myself.

Considering the number of machines and the software packages mentioned in the opening post I could easily believe the final figures quoted are accurate, even a bit on the conservative side.
    Last edited by yetimon_64; December 4th, 2019 at 10:23 AM. Reason: gr.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    I know of no one who runs Windows and yet substitutes FOSS alternatives like LibreOffice, GIMP, Inkscape, GnuCash, Scribus and LibreCad in lieu of the leading proprietary apps (MSOffice, MS Project, the Adobe suite, Quickbooks AutoCAD, etc). Users of proprietary OSes practically always also use proprietary apps—I would say almost exclusively.
    < snip >
    Actually, DuckHook, I am one of those people you almost seem to be saying do not exist.

Apart from the OS itself, (Windows XP), that came with my final Windows computer, I never paid for any software and exclusively used either FOSS or Freeware alternatives to those things you speak of.

I used free trials of several applications but never found their value to me to be worth the sometime large cost that would have been paid to continue use of most of them.

Call me a "cheap-skate" if you like, and I admit I never worked in an industry that required use of any proprietary software suites, but FOSS or Freeware has always served me very well, doing everything I ever needed, just like Xubuntu still does as my OS.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

When I built my new desktop (now main server) I repurposed older parts. All I had to get on Ebay was a mobo and psu. i5 3470 with 8gb of ram. Works great. According to my KillAWatt I'm pulling about 5-7 bucks a month. Considering I occasionally use it as a desktop and it has an RX570 in it, not terrible. It's on 24/7.

Older parts can work, but if you are trying to run heavy workloads on real old stuff, then the power costs outpace the savings real fast. In my case my average load is so low it doesn't seem to matter. It's practically idling 95% of the time.
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; December 4th, 2019 at 03:21 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi ajgreeny
    Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Actually, DuckHook, I am one of those people you almost seem to be saying do not exist.
    Had you continued to entirely use Windows since your XP days through all of its subsequent iterations, going on to Vista, then 7, then 8 and were using 10 right now as your only OS, I would concede that you would count as one of those rare exceptions. However, you now use Xubuntu. It has been your primary OS for many years. Therefore, I would say that you actually conform to my delineation between the proprietary world and the FOSS world. Actually, having interacted with you as much as I have, I know you to be the very embodiment of a Linux guru.

Of course the movement to the FOSS sphere involves a process. I'm not saying that it happens overnight. It was the same process with me, and occurred over the course of my XP days as well (it bears remembering that Desktop Linux was pretty rough around the edges in those days). One starts out using a few shareware/freeware/FOSS apps, then more, then most, until one day, one realizes that the only thing not FOSS is the OS itself. "May as well take the plunge and change that too," one says. Often, it happens in reverse: for various reasons, someone gets fed up with the proprietary OS, commits to switching it, then discovers that the FOSS apps are actually pretty good. However, my point remains: I know of no one who suspends that process halfway—who uses FOSS apps entirely but never ever ultimately moves on to a FOSS OS.

People who use lots of FOSS apps but stick with Windows almost always do so because of a few critical proprietary apps that they can't part with: either because of work demands or because they are avid gamers or because they just don't find certain FOSS alternatives suitable to their needs.

Actually, I would love to hear from a hard-core, die-hard, exclusively Windows user—one who has stuck with Windows through all of its versions—but who also uses absolutely nothing but FOSS apps (even one proprietary app would disqualify). I assume that a few must exist. It would be interesting to hear what dynamic is at work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    Older parts can work, but if you are trying to run heavy workloads on real old stuff, then the power costs outpace the savings real fast. In my case my average load is so low it doesn't seem to matter. It's practically idling 95% of the time.
    Exactly.

I agree that it would be cool having a new powerful home built energy efficient computer however I don't need anything super fast as my computer needs are very minimal and what I already have fits the bill.

I still keep a Windows XP box available just for the Windows software I may need to use or when I feel like using Microsoft Flight Simulator X or X-Plane.

I guess if I was really concerned about saving a few bucks a year on my electric bill that perhaps my computer is causing I'd just turn it off and then only power it on when needed.

Two 10 year old computers ain't going to make me or break me and the few extra bucks for electricity they may cost over a year is negligible imo.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    …I'm wondering about savings on electricity. Anyway to calculate how much power a system would draw over a month?…
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    …Older parts can work, but if you are trying to run heavy workloads on real old stuff, then the power costs outpace the savings real fast…
    Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    …Two 10 year old computers ain't going to make me or break me and the few extra bucks for electricity they may cost over a year is negligible imo.
    mörgæs and I tried to quantify electrical usage a few years ago and it turns out to be more expensive than I thought. A 60-watt light bulb left on 24/7 costs roughly $50 a year in electricity. I can well see TheFu's point: those old workstations can easily draw 120-200 watts more than new ones. If I were running three of those 24/7 (for example, Mrs DuckHook refuses to turn hers off), costs can add up pretty quickly.

Laptops (even old ones) are much leaner, so they often make decent 24/7 servers, especially with the screen powered off and treated as headless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Actually, I would love to hear from a hard-core, die-hard, exclusively Windows user—one who has stuck with Windows through all of its versions—but who also uses absolutely nothing but FOSS apps (even one proprietary app would disqualify). I assume that a few must exist. It would be interesting to hear what dynamic is at work.
    Perhaps this is the wrong forum to find those people?

People running small servers should take a look at ARM-based SBCs. 5V @ 2.1a is pretty tiny and easily handles nextcloud and an email server for a house. Most are $40 - $70 all in, just hook up to a TV when necessary, but the rest of the time it runs headless. Thanks to hardware video decoding, they usually handle 1080p h.264 video fine. Newer versions handle 4K h.264/h.265 video. Music players are a non-issue too thanks to custom solutions just for ARM-based systems. Audiophiles can put a nice audio chip using the GPIO header and drive nice speakers or output to any receiver system. Without having every word spoken sent to Amazon, Google, or Apple. If you want voice control without internet cloudy services involved, https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/snips/ is a cool project.

Oops ... OT. Sorry.
    Last edited by TheFu; December 4th, 2019 at 05:08 PM.

Beans

Perhaps this is the wrong forum to find those people?
    People running Windows only I don't think would ever be on a Linux forum.

All of my posts were / are based as a desktop Linux user as I've no need for a sever.

I'm gone and won't be a bother anymore.

Life is good.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast