Thread: How to update a file in current kernel for 18.04 (5.0.0-37), compile & install it?

Beans

Question How to update a file in current kernel for 18.04 (5.0.0-37), compile & install it?

Hello all...

I am looking for information on how to update a line of code in the kernel my current system is running (5.0.0-37-generic), compile and install it.
    There seems to be an issue with the Trim function not working properly under Linux with the newest Ryzen platforms when utilizing the new gen 4 nvme ssd drives. A work-around/fix for this issue was identified at Kernel.org - Bugzilla (https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=202665) where one must update a line of code at 'drivers/nvme/host/core.c'

I've come across an article that discuss the process for building your own kernel:

Reading this article, I'm able to install the required packages and use Git to clone the Bionic repo. (git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-bionic.git)
    From there, I can find the file that needs to be updated (from the bugzilla.kernel.org link above) and I subsequently make the update.

I then run the following commands, as outline in the article:
    Code:
    fakeroot debian/rules clean
    fakeroot debian/rules binary-headers binary-generic binary-perarch
    fakeroot debian/rules binaryWhen that process is complete, when I go up one directory I see the three files that the article makes reference to:
    linux-headers-4.15.0-70_4.15.0-70.79_all.deb
    linux-headers-4.15.0-70-generic_4.15.0-70.79_amd64.deb
    linux-image-unsigned-4.15.0-70-generic_4.15.0-70.79_amd64.deb

So it almost looks like this process works. Unfortunately, it looks like the .deb files that were created are based on an earlier (original?) kernel version that shipped with 18.04 (4.15.0-70_4.15.0-70.79). (And not the kernel I currently have installed, 5.0.0-37-generic) I am guessing that the bionic repo I'm cloning isn't of the latest 5.0x kernel that 18.04 is currently updated with.

So I have two questions...

1. How can I update the impacted file of the kernel version my system is currently on (5.0.0-37-generic), compile it...and then subsequently install it?
    2. I'm under the assumption that the process I described above, where I update the 'drivers/nvme/host/core.c' file per the buzilla.kernel link above and run the commands
      Code:
      fakeroot debian/rules clean
      fakeroot debian/rules binary-headers binary-generic binary-perarch
      fakeroot debian/rules binary
      ...will produce a Linux kernel package set that contains an updated 'drivers/nvme/host/core.c' file, and that Linux kernel can than be installed on my machine via the sudo dpkg -i ...command? Am I right in thinking this?

I'm not a Linux expert but I'm not completely unfamiliar with Linux...though I've never had to bother with compiling a Kernel to resolve an issue like this.
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading through this lengthy post.
    Last edited by DuckHook; 4 Days Ago at 09:35 AM. Reason: Added [CODE] tags, removed interfering formatting