Thread: MEOW menu manager

Beans

MEOW menu manager

I have been wanting to organize the apps listed with "Show Applications", e.g.move the games into a Games folder etc. and the app MEOW seems to do that job. Has anyone used this app or can recommend it.
    Is it encumbered with data syphoning etc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: MEOW menu manager

Here are the red flags that this raises for me:

1. It isn't in the repos. As a matter of security principle, all third party apps are "guilty until proven innocent" to me.
    2. It is written in Java. I have no Java apps running on my machine and refuse to install JDK as a further security principle. Even if this particular app is innocent, I just don't like having yet another scripting language (read: attack vector) on the loose in my box.
    3. Of course, if you are sufficiently knowledgeable, you can simply review the source code and satisfy yourself whether it siphons data or is otherwise legit. Since I am not a coder, this is beyond me, so my default position is always to not install such apps.

I've long since made my peace with the decision to forego bells and whistles in favour of a tightly controlled box that trades extra functionality for enhanced security. However, this is both a personal decision and an admission that I occupy a place far along the paranoid side of the security continuum. Others who are not as paranoid will consider my choices to be overly restrictive. Only you can decide where you are on that continuum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Either have some patience until 20.04 comes out, or upgrade to 19.10. Organization of the apps is now a matter of drag and drop in the Applicatons overview. There is also a Gnome shell extension that facilitates that in earlier versions (not sure how good it is). Finally, the "Supported" way in older versions is through Software.
    Last edited by vanadium; December 3rd, 2019 at 01:07 PM.

Beans

Thanks for your feedback, I will wait for 20.04.LTS