Thread: Desktop mods for 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Desktop mods for 18.04

Hello again everybody
    My question pertains to the fact that this version of Ubuntu doesn't allow my web browser to fill the entire screen and is reduced to icons always remaining on the left side of the screen. My computer is an Acer Aspire One AO533 and the screen is 5 inches from top to bottom and 9 inches across or a whopping 10 inches corner to corner! The fact the web browser doesn't completely full the screen is comparable to looking through a knothole in a fence. Is there any setting I'm overlooking to make the icons disappear and the web browser completely fill this anemic screen like a typical OS? Due to this I'm presently using Zorin OS because it behaves in a conventional form like Windows or older versions of Ubuntu and I'm wondering if 19.04 or 19.10 has eliminated this for a more conventional format?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Desktop mods for 18.04

Quote Originally Posted by hennmann View Post
    Hello again everybody
    My question pertains to the fact that this version of Ubuntu doesn't allow my web browser to fill the entire screen and is reduced to icons always remaining on the left side of the screen. My computer is an Acer Aspire One AO533 and the screen is 5 inches from top to bottom and 9 inches across or a whopping 10 inches corner to corner! The fact the web browser doesn't completely full the screen is comparable to looking through a knothole in a fence. Is there any setting I'm overlooking to make the icons disappear and the web browser completely fill this anemic screen like a typical OS? Due to this I'm presently using Zorin OS because it behaves in a conventional form like Windows or older versions of Ubuntu and I'm wondering if 19.04 or 19.10 has eliminated this for a more conventional format?
    Which browser? F11 is always full screen for Firefox and Chrome. It has been this way for years.

Moving to "Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat" since you don't have ubuntu installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

And I don't have Ubuntu due to the question I asked! Is there a setting or desktop FOR Ubuntu 18.04 so I don't have to use Zorin?? It is Ubuntu 18.04 that doesn't allow the full desktop when ANY program or app is in use. Again my question is for Ubuntu 18.04 and nothing else so don't move to another distro.
    If there are no options especially for smaller limited monitors or screens and icons taking up space due to limiting how much the opened programs or apps can be expanded most certainly sounds like a step in the wrong direction.
    Last edited by hennmann; 1 Week Ago at 07:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

That's a very long post to say that you'd like the dock to auto-hide.

There's a setting for it in the Settings, and there's a dconf value if you want to set it from the command line. I couldn't tell you specifically what either of them are called, since I don't use Gnome and I'm typing from my phone anyway. I'm sure you'll be able to find it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use what comes with Ubuntu or what is offered to be installed after installation. Firefox is what I have been using and the same options are Firefox in Zorin as well except when using Zorin as an alternative Firefox always fills the screen including anything else if you select the option to expand or reduce.
    I have had Ubuntu on my newest desktop computer and the same thing occurs as my Acer Aspire One except with the regular PC I'm using a 24 inch monitor. To me this lack of a full screen option for anything open looks like a default setting? Why especially after it looks like one has to use F11? Why?? If the user doesn't know this I end up with what I described always happening! Like I said before if this is default it is most certainly a step backwards! Not all PC's have large screens and there are many Netbooks out there from other manufacturers other than Acer. If I interpreted your answer correctly EVERYTIME I open Firefox or another app/program I have to hit F11 key?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

And I might add this only happened when I installed 18.04 on both the desktop PC and the Acer Aspire One and of course like others I'm learning to use Linux and most of the time I along with many others DO NOT know the command line commands! If the same is going to happen on 19.04 and 19.10 bring back the Penguin and ditch the Beaver.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Still lots of words; still no changing the Settings. It's not like Gnome has many.

Here are some pictures if you find that easier.
    None but ourselves can free our minds