Thread: Can I sleep or hibernate on a Macbook (late 2013 laptop)

Beans

Question Can I sleep or hibernate on a Macbook (late 2013 laptop)

Hi,

I've just returned to ubuntu after 6 years! I have a late-2013 Macbook Pro which I refuse to give up even though its dGPU has died (iGPU works fine though). Anyway, I just installed Ubuntu 19.10 on it, and everything seems to work fine (Bluetooth, keyboard lighting and controls, display brightness controls, WiFi...). Funny thing about the WiFi is that it did not work from the boot USB stick, but I was able to pair to my Android phone using Bluetooth and to access the internet from there during installation!

Anyway, a lot has changed since I was on Ubuntu and the first issue I have come across is: how do I put my laptop to sleep? When I select the power circle button from the top-right menu I can only select power-off or restart. Is it possible to sleep or even to hibernate (the thing where it writes memory to disk and powers off, then re-reads everything from disk to restore?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Can I sleep or hibernate on a Macbook (late 2013 laptop)

What happens when you close the Macbook? That's pretty much the universal sleep command.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

Re: Can I sleep or hibernate on a Macbook (late 2013 laptop)

I'm going to assume you mean closing the lid right? Well, nothing then. I can see the backlight remains on (the Apple logo is still illuminated). If I reopen the lid, the computer has not even locked the screen (there is no password prompt).