Thread: i want to pre-cache every file ...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

i want to pre-cache every file ...

i want to pre-cache every file in /etc and /usr into RAM, on systems with more than enough to do so (8GB and more), and lock it in to stay there. i can read every file and that will get them into cache, but a lot of I/O buffering activity can bump a lot of that out. another idea was to copy them to a ramdisk, but that is just duplication and using a file means 2 copies of it will be in RAM. the goal is to have all the content of all these files to be in RAM, with a valid backing store to reload from in the rare event that a page gets modified by one process (the kernel reads in a new copy for all the other processes that have it mapped). i also want to prevent these pages from being discarded (being unmodified makes them easy to "steal" since no swapout is required) when buffering demand gets high. any suggestions? a reserved block of RAM might do this if there is a way to load mapped pages into it and make use of them there.
    What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages? Trilingual.
    What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages? Bilingual.
    What do you call someone who speaks 1 language? American.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: i want to pre-cache every file ...

You may need to create the directories etc and usr in RAM every time you system run, then copy the files and mount them before the system boot.
    Best, Gnusci

"Never make a calculation until you know the answer." -- Wheeler, Spacetime Physics, pg 60.

Beans
    Distro

like i mentioned in my original post, that would be duplication. there would be the copy in ramdisk,and the active cache copy when it gets run.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I think this would be difficult for /etc since it has to be available in single-user mode during boot. You'd probably have to create a custom initrd image as well. /usr might be more manageable since it is only mounted when the system goes multi-user.

I doubt you'd see enormous performance improvements over using an SSD drive.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

All though I have not used this for a long time no, vmtouch seems like a good tool for the job.
    Usage:
    Code:
    vmtouch -dl /whatever/directory/
    Last edited by 1fallen; 1 Week Ago at 07:56 PM.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

vmtouch looks like a nice simple tool that will save one component of development.

what i am making may be booted from external media that i want to be able to remove or detach, ranging from an SD card to an AWS EC2 EBS virtual storage device.