Thread: Getting Multichannel Duplex to Output via SPDIF

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Getting Multichannel Duplex to Output via SPDIF

Using UbuntuStudio 18.04.3 with a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 as my soundcard. I just recently upgraded to 18.04 and I was excited to see that pulse audio now recognizes and allows me to use the Scarlett as my soundcard for applications other than Ardour. The problem is that my monitors are connected to the SPDIF output on the Scarlett and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the system sounds and application sounds to output via SPDIF instead of the analog outputs on the Scarlett. The SPDIF works fine in Ardour (they are recognized as Output Channels 11 & 12). But for everything else, pulse is outputting on analog outputs 1-10, sending nothing to SPDIF.
    Dell XPS L502X, Ubuntu Studio 18.04

Beans

Re: Getting Multichannel Duplex to Output via SPDIF

Try installing pavucontrol which lets you control which channels to use for audio input and output.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Yeah I'm using pavucontrol. The "channels" it shows are "Front Left", "Front Right", "Rear Left", etc which are all set to 100%(0.00dB) with nothing going through the SPDIF output. All ten of the analog outputs are putting out sound, but SPDIF is silent.

Beans

Actually it's the "port" that matters.

Mine is set to "HDMI Displayport." Is the SPDIF device not in the list for you?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Yes. The port is set to the "Scarlett 18i20 Multichannel". And in pavucontrol it'll show that it is receiving signal. Again, that signal is actually getting sent to the Focusrite, but it is only outputting on the analog outputs. The SPDIF output is putting out nothing. The SPDIF does work, because that is how I am monitoring everything with Ardour.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

*bump* Nobody has any idea how this might be resolved?