Thread: after upgrading to xubuntu 19.10 screen turns blank after playing video or games

Beans

after upgrading to xubuntu 19.10 screen turns blank after playing video or games

I upgraded xubuntu from 19.04 to 19.10 and this bug appeared. It works fine for a while, but if I play a movie or a video game, the screen eventually turns blank. Not instantaneously, but after 90 minutes or 2 hours (a month ago, right after the upgrade). Yesterday (Nov 30, 2019) it went blank after 11 hours. Today (Dec, 12, 2019) after 6 hours. This never happened before.

The screen blanks, but the system is still responsive. I can control the volume with both function keys and apps volume options, close applications, execute commands...

It goes blank, but I get glimpses of the screen, they last for a second or two, allowing me to navigate to close applications and execute 'shutdown-now'

Xubuntu 19.10 64 bits on an Intel CPU

how do I solve this?

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: after upgrading to xubuntu 19.10 screen turns blank after playing video or games

It does not seem like anyone else has a more elegant solution so I suggest a fresh install of 19.10.

Upgrades have a long history of failing and they can give a wide selection of errors. Better to get into the habit of installing the version you want from scratch.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.