Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Run an ISO in Ubuntu

Beans

Run an ISO in Ubuntu

Windows has programs that let you run an .iso file, such as https://www.redfox.bz/en/download.html. You can see how it works here :https://www.intowindows.com/installi...rive-method-2/

Are there any programs that will do the same in Ubuntu? It messed up my Windows 7 boot and I was wondering if I can install without burning another DVD or USB drive, bc I don't want to empty one.

Beans

Re: Run an ISO in Ubuntu

Ubuntu usually does not mess up windows, unless someone installs over windows. It might be ubuntu did not find windows to add to grub, but that should be fixable. Please explain how windows boot is mess up.

Beans
    Hidden!

Depending on what you mean by "run an .ISO", the answer may be that you certainly can.

I used to use a large USB flash drive to which I installed grub, created a custom grub.cfg file, then copied many .iso files to a folder on the USB.

This made it possible to boot to the USB drive, and choose whichever of the ISO files I wanted to run as a live system from the grub menu. I have not done this now for a few years but I followed all the info at https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1288604 and it worked perfectly.

As crip720 says, booting a live system should not cause any problems for your installed Windows system so it would be helpful to know exactly what you did and what the problem actually was. Did you try to install Ubuntu as a dual boot with Windows 10 or just run it as a live system?

Windows 10, if it came with your computer will undoubtedly be using UEFI but you may have installed or run ubuntu using MBR/BIOS and if that's the case the grub bootloader will not be able to see or boot Windows.

It will possibly be worth seeing exactly where you are at present so see Boot-Repair in my signature below and follow the instructions there to run the Boot-Info-Script from Ubuntu, using a live system if necessary.
    Do not run the default repair just yet but simply copy back here the pastebin link you get which will show us a lot more about your system.

EDIT:
    There is some more recent information about live booting an ISO file at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/ISOBoot which may be better for you, particularly as it covers UEFI booting which my original link does not.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; 1 Week Ago at 10:50 PM.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

The OP is asking to install Win 7 directly from the ISO file in Ubuntu without burning to a USB/DVD.

Beans

It messed up my Windows 7 boot
    "It"? What 'it' are you referring to? As to booting a windows 7 installer, yes you can do that from any Linux system with Grub2 (actually Grub Legacy would work also). If you have Ubuntu or any Linux system with Grub2, create an ntfs partition on your hard drive a little larger than the iso file. Extract the iso file and copy the contents to that newly created ntfs partition and mark it as active and create an entry for Grub to boot it. Actually, I'll just refer you to the web page which explains it in detail so point in repeating everything here. If you can follow detailed instructions, it should be no problem.

http://onetransistor.blogspot.ch/201...om-ubuntu.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Moved to "Windows" sub-forum.

There are plenty of tools for making a bootable ISO on a USB.

Beans

@urock I didn't ask how to make a bootable usb. I said I don't want to use a usb.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by jmichaels1 View Post
    @urock I didn't ask how to make a bootable usb. I said I don't want to use a usb.
    USB is the best you're going to get. I am quite surprised you haven't already ran down to the corner store to get one.

Beans

The best you are going to get for doing what you want is by using the method used at the link I posted earlier. This is a Linux system with a Linux bootloader booting a windows installer.

The Grub2 bootloader will boot a Linux iso file directly without having to extract it which the windows software you refer to requires. Grub2 won't directly boot a closed source, proprietary windows iso and it's unrealistic to exect that. The instructions are very explicit and simple to follow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

UNetbootin 675 will make a Windows boot USB.
    It can also make a Frugal install on a corner of your hard drive, (so that a USB drive is not required for installation).
    The install is temporary but can be used to install it's load to any drive on the computer.
    There is a Linux version of 675 that seems to be working, but I have not tried installing Windows using a frugal install yet.

https://unetbootin.github.io/linux_download.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast