Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Run an ISO in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Run an ISO in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jmichaels1 View Post
    Windows has programs that let you run an .iso file, such as https://www.redfox.bz/en/download.html. You can see how it works here :https://www.intowindows.com/installi...rive-method-2/

Are there any programs that will do the same in Ubuntu? It messed up my Windows 7 boot and I was wondering if I can install without burning another DVD or USB drive, bc I don't want to empty one.
    your post has a lot of vague references, making it hard to understand what you want to do. where you say "It messed up ...", people are unsure what "it" refers to. very few things will "mess up Windows 7", so we are guessing. it looks like you are trying to re-install Windows 7. i have heard that Windows 7 has a kind of rescue disk. if si,the PC itself should be able to boot it. we don't know if it could mess up Ubuntu.

normally PCs boot .iso recorded on a disk. but you said "run an .iso file". that sounds like you need a virtual machine. it would run the .iso file, but you can't get easy access the the drive in the normal fashion. unless you have a 2nd hard drive, virtual installing will be quite a difficult task because the one drive hosts both the systems. having systems on separate drives would be a lot better. having separate PCs would be the ultimate (lets you run both at the sane time,
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans

UNetbootin 675 will make a Windows boot USB]
    Have you actually used unetbootin to create a bootable windows usb? The page you linked to is just a download page. I did a brief online search which gave me a few sites which indicated using unetbootin to create a bootable windows usb was possible but they were very brief and uninformative. Historically, unetbootin has had 3 versions (windows, linux, mac) which could be used to create a bootable 'Linux' usb so if it now works to create a bootable windows, that would be something new.
    Last edited by yancek; December 3rd, 2019 at 01:59 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by crip720 View Post
    The OP is asking to install Win 7 directly from the ISO file in Ubuntu without burning to a USB/DVD.
    Ah! I missed that, not having read the details in the two links provided.

Can you actually run Windows of any version as a live OS, which is what I thought was being asked about, not realising it was a Windows OS at all?

Beans

You can install Windows from its ISO image to a virtual machine in VirtualBox. Otherwise you need to create a physical boot medium.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thanks SeijiSensei, that is what I thought, ie, there is no such thing as a live Windows System, and a VM is not the same thing at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Rufus now has an option to make a "Windows To Go" USB.
    This is not a Live option but a Full install of Windows 10 to Flash drive.
    I managed to fit it in a 16GB USB2 drive and it was slow, but stable.
    It's creation was also very slow.
    It does ask for a number.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12