Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lightdm spinning up a user login

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: lightdm spinning up a user login

lxc cannot move an existing process to a container. only that process can move itself (with the appropriate syscalls). lxc can launch new processes (and do usual things like setuid()) there, from a process that created the container or moved into it. but that's not my plan.

i don't have any use for lxc even though it may actually be able to accomplish the task. i already do containers without it. using some other software, just because it exists and is widely used, to do what i already do for myself, means i add new dependencies for maintenance. OTOH, if someone has completed exactly the same thing, as i am planning to do, with lxc or docker, then that would be very interesting and could save me a lot of time. but digging into a project that achieves a completely different goal would cost me a lot of time.

i should not have mentioned containers as it has distracted from my original question which remains unanswered. please, let's get off talking about containers.
    What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages? Trilingual.
    What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages? Bilingual.
    What do you call someone who speaks 1 language? American.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    i should not have mentioned containers as it has distracted from my original question which remains unanswered. please, let's get off talking about containers.
    No more talk of containers then.
    Good Luck though.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Which part do you want to know more about what's going on,
    before the login screen or after the login-screen?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

it would have to be after the login screen because it has to be after the user is identified and authenticated (when appropriate). it might need to be before Xorg is started because i might need to reconfigure it to use real network connectivity, but at least before the user's DE gets started since that will need to be started in the per-user cont----r specially configured with some form (maybe overlay) of duplication mount(s). this can potentially let me put specific users in specific versions of ubuntu or their DE.
    What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages? Trilingual.
    What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages? Bilingual.
    What do you call someone who speaks 1 language? American.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12