Thread: Live USB installer not seeing Mac's SSD

Beans

Question Live USB installer not seeing Mac's SSD

I'm attempting to install Ubuntu 19.10 on a Mac laptop with an SSD hard drive (specs below) that's been partitioned with a FAT32 GUID partition. I have a working USB installer, rEFIt is installed and can boot from the USB pen drive without a problem. When I launch the Ubuntu installer to install from the USB live session to Mac's SSD, it does not 'see' any hard drives other than the USB pen drive, jumps the installer step to select where to install and states:

"You need at least 8.6 GB disk space to install Ubuntu. The computer has only 7.7 GB." - It's an 8 GB USB pen drive, so no doubt this is the pen drive.

SIP is disabled on the mac and I've also disabled all startup disk restrictions. I see comments online about needing to wait for Ubuntu 19.10 because NVMe storage isn't supported until Kernal 5.1.5 (Ubuntu installer can't see Mac HDD) - check using that. Also, seeing comments about changing SATA from IDE to ACHI, some say this is unnecessary on a mac, but I tried doing this (based on instructions here: How to switch from IDE to AHCI) and I can't because the pen drive is read-only - update-initramfs -u will fail.

Does anyone know how to resolve this? Why the installer can't see the Mac's SSD?

-----------
    Macbook Pro (15 inch, 2019) 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, OSX 10.14.6 (Mojave)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Live USB installer not seeing Mac's SSD

Moved to "Apple Hardware Users" for better visibility.

Beans

Re: Live USB installer not seeing Mac's SSD

https://florisvanbreugel.wordpress.c...-on-a-macbook/

This worked for me - MBPro OS 10.14.6 Installation to 32G USB thumb drive.
    Took some time nutting it out - but finally "persistent" installation - all tweaks and software are saved./