Thread: I'm new here

Beans

Angry I'm new here

Hi,
    I just created this account here, I don't have a Ubuntu One account.
    The first thing I wanted to do was modifying my profile, settings and PRIVACY SETTINGS and I cannot do that because I haven't posted 10 times here???
    This is a bad beginning and a very bad welcome policy.
    Last edited by disabled20191124; November 29th, 2019 at 11:29 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: I'm new here

Hello and welcome. I would say those policy was created for a good reason, hang in there those ten post will fly by

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RobGoss View Post
    Hello and welcome. I would say those policy was created for a good reason, hang in there those ten post will fly by
    Thank you for the welcome!

I really wonder what could be the reasons for such a policy that forbids a new member to edit their profile. It would make more sense to me if I was not allowed to post links for example, which I am not.

In the meantime, I need to blah blah until I get the right amount of posts...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There's an explanation for the 10 post reason here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2034393
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    There's an explanation for the 10 post reason here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2034393
    Thank you for the link.

I've read the post but I'm not entirely convinced yet. The first thing I do when I create a forum account is revising the privacy settings and I cannot do that at once? Why have I to spam posts to be able to do such a simple and necessary thing?

Thanks anyway for bothering.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Not a technical support request.

Thread moved to Forum Feedback & Help.

Quote Originally Posted by apschmidt View Post
    Thank you for the link.

I've read the post but I'm not entirely convinced yet. The first thing I do when I create a forum account is revising the privacy settings and I cannot do that at once? Why have I to spam posts to be able to do such a simple and necessary thing?

Thanks anyway for bothering.
    Remaining unconvinced is your prerogative, but is extremely unlikely to convince the Forum Council that a carefully debated and agreed policy needs changing any time soon. And I suggest you re-read the link that Irihapeti provided you, particularly the bit about what we do to people who spam the forum in order to boost their post count.

Welcome to the forum!
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

My eleventh post, I hope I'll be able to edit my profile now, since with 10 posts, I still cannot do that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It requires 10 useful posts in support
    Q: Then that is simply going to encourage people to post a large number of replies just to get their post count above 50 25 10.

A: If the posts are helpful and have useful content then we have no problem with that. Indeed, that is to be encouraged. But if anyone posts a number of posts without useful content in an effort to circumvent this restriction, they will find that staff action will be swift and uncompromising. Persistent pointless posting is no better than spam and will be dealt with as such. Reporting spam does increase your post count - 1 bean for each report - so you can increase your post count and help the forum in its battle against the spammers by reporting any spam post you come across.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    people who spam the forum in order to boost their post count.
    I don't want to boost my post count, I want to edit my profile! As soon as I can do that, you'll read a lot less from me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy31 View Post
    It requires 10 useful posts in support
    Okay, since I have no knowledge, I'll never be able to edit my profile.

How do I delete this account?