Thread: Freezing of Mouse in Ubuntu Mate 19.10

Beans

Freezing of Mouse in Ubuntu Mate 19.10

Hi to all

1. I am from India and quite new to Ubuntu
    2. I have been using Linux MINT - Mate Edition for many years now.
    3. I was facing system crashes in Linux MINT Mate 19.x due to the Open Source Driver for Nvidia Graphics (NOUVEAU) . Was not able to download proprietary Nvidia drivers for my graphics card, as I found it difficult for a layman like me. Since the machine was very old, I decided to buy a new one with non-Nvidia graphics, say Radeon or Intel.
    4. I recently purchased a New Computer with Asus Prime 450M-A motherboard and AMD Ryzen 3 220G with Radeon Vega Graphics
    5. Linux MINT (Mate) 19.x is based on Ubuntu 18.4.LTS and was having Linux Kernel 4.x . This kernel DOES NOT support my new computer's CPU/APU/GPU. Hence, tried to switch over to Ubuntu 19.10 Mate edition which has Linux Kernel 5.x series and support for my CPU/APU/GPU
    6. Now the PROBLEM - In this Ubuntu 19.10, I face mouse freeze quite often. Most of the times in Firefox. But freeze happens in many other applications like LibreOffice (Writer/calc/etc)
    7. Many people have reported such freeze of mouse (which gets released after a while automatically) in Forums. But their environments and mine do not match.
    8. Some people also have said that THERE IS A PROBLEM in Kernel 5.3.x and has been rectified in 5.4

HELP Required

I really do not know why the mouse freeze happens. My OS has the latest updates. Currently it shows the version as 5.3,0-23-generic. My Video driver shows as "amdgpu"

In order to help me, I am ready to provide output of relevant commands. Please let me know how I can copy/paste my screen in this Forum Post.

This Computer has 8 GB (4 x 2) DDR4 memory. Linux shows only 6 GB for it and 2 GB for graphics card. UEFI BIOS shows 8 GB. ( I found the split-up of 8GB as 6 plus 2 in Windows 10, which runs in another partition)

Regards
    G Balakrishnan
    India
    Timezone GMT+5.30
    (A newbie with respect to Ubuntu.....
    Last edited by gbk1960; 1 Week Ago at 07:18 AM.

Beans

Re: Freezing of Mouse in Ubuntu Mate 19.10

Please help

Quote Originally Posted by gbk1960 View Post
    Hi to all

1. I am from India and quite new to Ubuntu
    2. I have been using Linux MINT - Mate Edition for many years now.
    3. I was facing system crashes in Linux MINT Mate 19.x due to the Open Source Driver for Nvidia Graphics (NOUVEAU) . Was not able to download proprietary Nvidia drivers for my graphics card, as I found it difficult for a layman like me. Since the machine was very old, I decided to buy a new one with non-Nvidia graphics, say Radeon or Intel.
    4. I recently purchased a New Computer with Asus Prime 450M-A motherboard and AMD Ryzen 3 220G with Radeon Vega Graphics
    5. Linux MINT (Mate) 19.x is based on Ubuntu 18.4.LTS and was having Linux Kernel 4.x . This kernel DOES NOT support my new computer's CPU/APU/GPU. Hence, tried to switch over to Ubuntu 19.10 Mate edition which has Linux Kernel 5.x series and support for my CPU/APU/GPU
    6. Now the PROBLEM - In this Ubuntu 19.10, I face mouse freeze quite often. Most of the times in Firefox. But freeze happens in many other applications like LibreOffice (Writer/calc/etc)
    7. Many people have reported such freeze of mouse (which gets released after a while automatically) in Forums. But their environments and mine do not match.
    8. Some people also have said that THERE IS A PROBLEM in Kernel 5.3.x and has been rectified in 5.4

HELP Required

I really do not know why the mouse freeze happens. My OS has the latest updates. Currently it shows the version as 5.3,0-23-generic. My Video driver shows as "amdgpu"

In order to help me, I am ready to provide output of relevant commands. Please let me know how I can copy/paste my screen in this Forum Post.

This Computer has 8 GB (4 x 2) DDR4 memory. Linux shows only 6 GB for it and 2 GB for graphics card. UEFI BIOS shows 8 GB. ( I found the split-up of 8GB as 6 plus 2 in Windows 10, which runs in another partition)

Regards
    G Balakrishnan
    India
    Timezone GMT+5.30
    (A newbie with respect to Ubuntu.....

Beans

Check that your mouse is working, maybe the reason is not in the system (Ubuntu). Then check the connectors. The connectors must be clean, the contacts must not be bent. Then reboot the system again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adynouni View Post
    Check that your mouse is working, maybe the reason is not in the system (Ubuntu). Then check the connectors. The connectors must be clean, the contacts must not be bent. Then reboot the system again.
    Hello

Good to see a reply

The mouse is quite clean. It works fine in (dual boot) windows 10 on the same machine

It looks like the problem is Open Source Video Driver "amdgpu" .

Even though the drivers provided by AMD for Windows 10 supports 1920x1080 resolution, and smooth, the Open Source driver in Ubuntu 19.10 (kernel 5.30.0-24-generic) is quite laggy and makes mouse freeze at 1920x1080.

When I reduced the resolution to 1600x800, it is much better - of course, the mouse freeze occasionally happens

Proprietary driver amdgpu-pro MAY SOLVE the issue - however, people have reported that due to a hard-coding, it supports ONLY 18.04.x and NOT 19.10

I am ALMOST sure the problem is amdgpu Open Source Driver

Any suggestion to overcome the issue and help me use 1920x1080 without mouse freeze is welcome

Regards
    GB
    India

Beans

Hello

Since I am ALMOST SURE the problem is due to amdgpu video driver, I want to post this thread in a more relevant and appropriate sub-forum

Can someone help in this regards (to move this thread)

Regards
    GB
    India