Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu asking for password......

Beans

Ubuntu asking for password......

Hello,

I have a problem. Ubuntu 19.10 is asking for a password. I input the correct password and it does not work. What am I doing wrong? I can't get into the OS because of the password.

Chris

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Re: Ubuntu asking for password......

Does it say you used an incorrect password or does login simply fail?

Beans

I found that with 19.10 it has started to ask for user name first then the password. Try inputting your user name in first box the the second box should accept your password. This is for the login page, if it is for different page or program, please let us know.

Beans

No, it's for the login page. I tried inputting my first name, and then the password, but it just goes back to the beginning. And login simply fails.

Beans

I used the correct password and then it simply fails. I tried inputting my name in first, then the password, but it does not work.

Beans

It has to be user name. Is your first name the user name? It is user name hit enter, then password and hit enter. I imagine this is what you are doing, just making sure. Also make sure 'Caps Lock' is off.

Beans

User name is chris. I have tried inputting with uppercase and lowercase C but it does not make any difference. I'm certain caps lock is off because I can set the password to see it as I type.

Beans

If positive you are putting in right user and password, then something is wonky. You did not mention if it was an upgrade or clean install. You can google for changing lost password in ubuntu, will need a Live version on usb stick, or if it is recent and no data on it, might just be easier to reinstall, remembering to write down user name and password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I used the correct password and then it simply fails. I tried inputting my name in first, then the password, but it does not work.
    So no Incorrect password statement?
    Just resets itself?

In that case try setting a different session.

If we are talking Ubuntu then after name selection when the password field appears,
    next to the sign in button should show a cog icon,
    click on that and see which Desktop sessions are available and try to select one.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

It's a clean install. It gives me the incorrect password statement sometimes or re-sets itself. There is no cog icon, except when it's rotating whilst working out the password. I'm sorry, I've had two strokes and my english isn't perfect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast