Thread: Package libssl1.0.0 is not available, Can't install Eagle 7.7.0. on xubuntu 19.19

Beans

Package libssl1.0.0 is not available, Can't install Eagle 7.7.0. on xubuntu 19.19

Hi

I run xubuntu 19.10 pr. today.
    I tried to installl Cadsoft Eagle 7.7.0 but was not able to do so due to missing libssl1.0.0.

Code:
    /tmp/eagle-setup.30959/eagle-7.7.0/bin/eagle: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Tried first to install libssl1.0.0, but it has no candidate and was indicated to be obsolete. While searching for others with same problem it might seem to be so.,
    However, could I add repositories from earlier Ubuntu versions like 18.04 which successfully run Eagle, and install libssl from earlier xubuntu versions? Would that work?
    Or, could i rebuild libssl (or have it built by someone) for 19.10?

breg
    Vidar

Beans

Re: Package libssl1.0.0 is not available, Can't install Eagle 7.7.0. on xubuntu 19.19

To get the installation to succed I did the following

cd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
    sudo ln -s libssl.so.1.1 libssl.so.1.0.0
    sudo ln -s libcrypto.so.1.1 libcrypto.so.1.0.0
    After this Eagle installs well, but when running application it fails with

/opt/eagle/bin/eagle: symbol lookup error: /opt/eagle/bin/eagle: undefined symbol: CRYPTO_num_locks
    This seems to be an known issue but I found no post that had a solution.
    Any suggestions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Package libssl1.0.0 is not available, Can't install Eagle 7.7.0. on xubuntu 19.19

Open a bug with the eagle project?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Open a bug with the eagle project?
    Found this solution
    https://gist.github.com/ayjayt/08b8701cc25ac372d7b384cb5a6bd45d

git clone -b OpenSSL_1_0_2-stable https://github.com/openssl/openssl
    cd openssl
    ./config shared
    make
    make test
    But instead of using LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$EAGLEHOME/lib/ $EAGLEHOME/eagle as the link suggests,
    I just copied the newly built libssl.so.1.0.0 and libcrypto.so.1.0.0 into /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ after removing the symlink I created earlier.

The solution was for Eagle version 8.4.1, but it fixed the issues I had for Eagle 7.7.0. aswell

This worked like a charm.

For the record, if you wondered why I don't use newer versions of Eagle like 9.5.0, this is because After 7.7.0 Eagle was bought by Auto-desk and they started to use subscription based licensing. Thus when you decide to not pay anymore you also loose access to previous version. Thats a nogo for me. 7.7.0 is the last real Eagle standing...
    Last edited by vidar-vidnes; November 27th, 2019 at 11:08 PM.