Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will memory work to boost the computer

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Will memory work to boost the computer

So I have taken a new position at a non profit and am a house manager of a group home, however, the computer is slow.

It is an HP p2-1317cb. It has an AMD 1800 processor (dual core, 1.7 ghz), 6 gb ram, AMD 7340 Graphics.

Now this computer is used for work and is really efficient energy wise. It logs for residents and it hold the client files, all it needs to do. So replacing it is not required. The problem is it is slow at loading webpages and things, or video, or when many things are open.

I checked on a hunch how much vram (shared with computer) it has, it is 385mb. I suspect that this is a major part of the slowness as the monitor is newer and is 1920 x 1080p and is connected via a vga connection. My thought is if I upgraded the ram to 8GB (its max) that the computer would allocate more towards hardware dedicated memory (including graphics) and this would speed things up. It has a 30GB internet connection so that is not an issue. Upgrading the ram would cost about $14-$25.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Will memory work to boost the computer

Open up your System Monitor and look at what 'Resources' shows. This will give you an idea of how much you are pushing your PC. Opening up many things will slow down any PC.

As far as RAM goes, you can never have too much RAM. More is always better.
    Ubuntu 18.04.1 64bit Ext4 on a Dell Studio XPS Desktop Intel® Core™ i7-860 2.8GHz, 8GB DDR3 ram and Dual booting: Ubuntu 14.04 64bit Ext4 & 32bit Vista Home Premium, on a Toshiba laptop dual core AMD Turion 64, 2.0 GHz, 4GB ram.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I also suggest an SSD, even if just a small boot drive.

When a small SSD dropped below $100 in 2011, I purchased it planning on using it as a boot drive in a new UEFI system in 2012. But it sped up my old BIOS system enough that I could not really justify new system until about 3 years later.

Systems need balance on CPU, graphics, RAM, and drives. Over spending on one does not speed system up as much you you may think.
    But I have found even with fast SSD, fast Internet, that the biggest bottleneck seems to be between chair and keyboard. Typist in fact seems to keep getting slower (may be related to "old" in oldfred?
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

SSD. Definitely.

With RAM it's not the case that more will be faster, it's that running out cripples everything. If you have free RAM, the system will use it as a disc cache, so things that you've loaded before don't need to be loaded again, which helps if your computer has been on for a while and you keep doing the same things.

Old spinning rust drives aren't actually that bad for throughtput, but they're terrible at random access. Unfortunately, most computer use is random access. An SSD is awesome at random access. It's the best bang-for-the-buck performance boost for everyone.

You'll probably also benefit from installing some extensions to the browser to stop every site running a bajillion javascript applications on every page; an ad-blocker, or NoScript, or something like that.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You are very unlikely to notice any difference at all in going from 6 to 8 gig RAM. An SSD will give you instant, noticeable speed increase.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I had an AMD Athlon 1800+ and replaced it with an AMD Athlon 2000+ CPU in the early 2000s. A $35 raspberry pi will be faster and have better GPU capabilities for video playback.
    AMD 1800 passmarks: 300

Memory won't won't matter since you already have 6G.

A SATA SSD will help.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

You didn't say which OS is running so I guess Ubutnu.

If you have a need for speed you could try a fresh install of a lighter Buntu. Also take a look at how stuff is distributed (classic repository or Snap).
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I had an AMD Athlon 1800+ and replaced it with an AMD Athlon 2000+ CPU in the early 2000s. A $35 raspberry pi will be faster and have better GPU capabilities for video playback
    No. It's an E2-1800 "Zacate" chip circa 2011-2012.

I checked on a hunch how much vram (shared with computer) it has, it is 385mb. I suspect that this is a major part of the slowness
    Probably not. Video RAM is allocated dynamically in modern IGP systems. I don't think adding 2GB would help you significantly. Now if you would completely replace the DDR3L-1333 RAM with DDR3L-1866 (assuming the system supports that), that would give more bandwidth to the APU and you might notice a difference. That's going to be a bit more costly though and the SSD is a better upgrade bang for buck-wise.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

E2-1800 passmark is 800. A slow chromeook is 1000 and a fast chromebook is 3000.

For video playback or streaming, a r-pi with a dedicated mpeg2/h.264 decoder would still be faster. The chromebooks also have mpeg2/h.264 decoders.

Between 2010 and 2015, pretty much all the GPUs got dedicated video decoders which make a huge difference for video playback. I have an AMD-E450 (750 passmarks) that could only play 600p videos, which wasn't an issue with before the world went hidef. Then it needed to be replaced. I'd already replaced it with a $50 pentium CPU before the F/LOSS GPU drivers took over.

Beans

Quite a few people are suggesting a SSD, before you buy one make sure your system has sata 3 or the speed difference will not be as great as you hope.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast