Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will memory work to boost the computer

Beans

Re: Will memory work to boost the computer

Quote Originally Posted by crip720 View Post
    Quite a few people are suggesting a SSD, before you buy one make sure your system has sata 3 or the speed difference will not be as great as you hope.
    The system only has SATA-II (300 MBps). An SSD will still be significantly faster than a hard disk in real world usage.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu
    For video playback or streaming, a r-pi with a dedicated mpeg2/h.264 decoder would still be faster. The chromebooks also have mpeg2/h.264 decoders.
    The E2-1800 has UVD3, which is a dedicated video decoder block (including mpeg2/h.264). That doesn't help in Linux web browsers, though, since they don't have hardware video decoding (except the experimental chromium-vaapi PPA). The h264ify extension might help on YouTube.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    You didn't say which OS is running so I guess Ubutnu.

If you have a need for speed you could try a fresh install of a lighter Buntu. Also take a look at how stuff is distributed (classic repository or Snap).
    Windows 8.1 actually. But I am an avid Linux user. I just wanted to ask you guys because I feel you know more, and the ram upgrade is$14 so I can justify it, the task manager says 2.5 gigs used and 3 gigs cached with 428 megs dedicated for hardware. I bought faster ram the computer is able to use, from 1333mhz to 1600mhz, 8 gigs. It may cache more with the new ram. My thought was the bios has no setting for dedicated ram, though it is most likely dynamic. It might set aside more for hardware if the ram capacity is maxed out. The inter net should not be slow but it is, when loading pictures like at Walmart.com. The slowness seems to display graphics related. Though the cpu does go up to 100 percent while loading pages but then down to 5 percent. I also noticed that there is 2gigs of virtual memory allocated. I suspect this is in use.

Side note I replaced the wall paper with a 120 byte black square.
    Last edited by vanquishedangel; 1 Week Ago at 09:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by vanquishedangel View Post
    The inter net should not be slow but it is, when loading pictures like at Walmart.com.
    Every site you visit will try to run dozens of additional programs. They don't have to come from the actual site you're visiting and, since JavaScript is Turing-complete, they could be doing literally anything; normally what they're doing is tracking your activities across the internet. Those all need to be downloaded from wherever, which takes time and bandwidth, and running them takes processing capability that, frankly, you don't have to spare. There are plenty of extensions available, for all the browsers, to get those scripts under control. Online advertising is a vector for malware, removes whatever privacy you think you might have, and makes your internet experience slow and unpleasant. And they're using your resources to do it.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm with CatKiller on all the other programs that get run.

There are many techniques to prevent many, but not all. Some work by controlling DNS, like pi-hole does.

Others work by limiting access to hundreds of thousands of advertising/tracking sites, with the /etc/hosts file. This works best for portable devices, but isn't as convenient as running pi-hole somewhere on your network. https://lifehacker.com/how-to-block-...speed-30814279 explains. I use this. My /etc/hosts file has
    Code:
    $ wc -l /etc/hosts
    131537 /etc/hosts
    131K lines to block ads, trackers, and specific social networking sights I consider abusive.

Lastly there are different javascript/ad blockers as browser addons. These tend to be a hassle for non-technical users and almost all ad-blockers eventually sell-out to allow ads for payment. NoScript is the normal browser addon for this. By default, I block all javascript, then only allow a few specific domains. Tracking domains aren't allowed. If a website doesn't work without lots of trackers, I stop visiting. "Lots" to me is 2. If i dont haven't any choice and must use a website, then I'll run a separate browser instance inside a firejail in "Private" mode. This doesn't allow anything to be written to disk. Nothing. It does use more RAM and it is more hassle, but there are only a few sites like that and they aren't on my daily-use list. I've never trusted incognito modes. Browsers are so complex these days that incognito mode seems to always misbehave. Must easier to use firejail --private.

In the end, there isn't much to be done when a CPU is slow other than to use a different device, try to use the "mobile" version of the website, or use a stripped down browser that doesn't support most of the capabilities that really slow browsing. Try running dillo as your browser. Websites are really FAST with it, if they work. UbuntuForums doesn't work in dillo.

RAM buffers in Linux are used in a priority method. If programs need the RAM, it is used for programs. If disk storage needs it and some is available, it will be used for that. Same for network, though having large network buffers usually is a terrible idea for network performance. free -hm will show disk buffer use.

Replacing the desktop image probably doesn't matter for performance, assuming you aren't using a 50MB or larger image.
    Last edited by TheFu; 1 Week Ago at 11:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

If you haven't tried Buntu yet then give it a spin before buying additional hardware. One can't predict the page loading speed under Xubuntu from Windows experience.

Agree on the privacy-and-speed-savings tips above.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vanquishedangel View Post
    I bought faster ram the computer is able to use, from 1333mhz to 1600mhz, 8 gigs.
    The system doesn't officially support > DDR3-1333 from what I've read. I was just brainstorming. If you actually did that, you probably wasted money..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Adding a SSD is a great start for increasing your machines speed. I swap all my mechanical drives for SSD's and it's a big different is speed

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

So I have received the ram and it is installed, things actually did improve though not a whole lot. I suspect though that the reason is because the ram installed originally was 2 different brands. Hynix, and micron, and two different sizes. The jinx was 2 gig and the micron was 4 gig. This thing has single channel memory so I suspect that may have cause issues.

This machine has no room for upgrades like even a low wattage graphics card (like and AMD radeon 7450) or that. The ram was all that can be upgraded. Perhaps switching to a DVI cable instead of vga but that is all. I would say $14 was well spent. Possibly and sad would help, if I can find a cheap one but I am not sure windows would play nice, maybe use a old flash drive for readyboost.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

So, can the thread go to 'solved'?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12