Thread: How can I access a local PC with the hostname?

Beans

How can I access a local PC with the hostname?

Hello, I am not an expert and I already have days of trying to access a Debian PC on a local network (not internet) with the hostname and not with the IP.

The issue is as follows:
    I need to use Radicale to synchronize contacts and calendars, I just want to do it on a local network, between my laptop and my Android.

The problem is that I connect to several Wi-Fi during the week and the laptop IP always changes, so I need to know if it is possible to access the Debian laptop with just the hostname.

Thank you

Beans

Re: How can I access a local PC with the hostname?

Moved to "Debian" sub-forum.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How can I access a local PC with the hostname?

Many tutorials suggest just typing in a machines hostname to target it. That simply won't work unless the ip is added to the hosts file of the connecting machine or a private dns server, and with a changing ip that can be an issue. Your best bet is a static ip on devices as well as a private dns server. Can't always edit a hosts file on all devices, easily anyway. Bind is easy to set up, mine is working wonderfully and I simply followed the Ubuntu wiki. The config files are the same as Debian so it should work easy enough.
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; November 28th, 2019 at 02:57 AM.