Thread: Ubuntu 18.04 filesystem filling up

Beans

Ubuntu 18.04 filesystem filling up

Hello guys

I'm facing a strange problems, in an ubuntu 18.04 i have the disk full, and if i run df -h i see that i'm using 100% of the disk, but if i run du -h / --max-length=1 i see that the disk is about 600 GB of 3 TB( there is only the /partition ). I saw the same using the Disk Usage analyzer.

Anyone of you can tell me to understand what is happening?

i have googled it the problem and i try to run thins command sudo lsof | grep 'deleted' thatare, from what i have understood, deleted files but still present on the disk and from the output of this command we can see a list of file that however i don't know how to delete. These could be the ones causing the problem?

At the end the problems was solved rebooting the Workstation, this has deleted all these 'cached files', but i would like to understand what caused this problem....

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 filesystem filling up

Keep an eye out for this happening again and if it does can you show us the output of
    Code:
    du -h -d 1 | sort -h
    which will show us where in the filesystem all that space is being used; my bet would be a runaway log of some kind in /var/log but let's look a bit further.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 filesystem filling up

Using du command there is'nt any specific big file/folder. Home Folder was about 560 GB and it was the biggest. I've checked /root and /var if there was some strange big file, but nothing. But if you run df -h you stll saw the / partition full, 100% of the disk used.

If there was some hidden/cached files i really don't know where to look for.