Thread: 19.10 - top edge of windows no longer draggable

Beans

19.10 - top edge of windows no longer draggable

Since upgrading to Xubuntu 19.10 , no longer can I grab the top edge of windows to resize them. I end up having to drag the entire window away from the bottom edge of the display to make the bottom edge available for dragging. (at least LAlt-click-drag still works)

How can I restore the grab-the-top-edge window behaviour? I had it in 19.04.

xubuntu-desktop package is version 2.231

[and, for the forum moderators: "tiling window manager" is one of the suggested tags for this post, but when I use it I get the error "You specified a tag that was too long". ]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 19.10 - top edge of windows no longer draggable

That will depend on the window manager theme you are using. Try changing to another theme: this will allow you to identify if indeed it is the theme having the issue.

Beans

I wouldn't bother trying to restore that functionality since XFCE offers something better: hold left alt and drag with the right mouse button. This resizes the window from the corner the pointer is closest to. Works even with windows that have all four corners outside the viewport.

Holger

Beans

I tried the other themes (Adwaita-dark, Greybird, Numix, Raleigh) and it made no difference so I put it back to Adwaita. Still no grabbing the top edge.
    Then I tried the LAlt+RMB to resize windows and that works. ... after trying that, a mouseover flickered at the top of the window, and I saw that I can grab the top edges of windows now.

Bizarre.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

hold left alt and drag with the right mouse button
    Oh wow! I've been using Xubuntu for years and didn't ever find that. Thank you.

I normally use clearlooks, but I also tried adwaita and I get a mouseover on all sides except when the window is maximised. Odd.

Beans

... and to complete the list of little-known XFCE Alt-mouse button tricks: Alt+MMB=put window at the bottom of the stack, Alt+Mouse wheel=zoom (up=in,down=out) (rather useful if I'm not wearing my reading glasses ...). In older versions of XFCE Alt+wheel on the title bar of a window would allow you to turn it transparent. If you turn zoom_desktop to false in the channel xfwm4 in xfconf you get that behaviour back, but you loose the ability to zoom.

Holger