Thread: gimp 2.10.??

Beans

gimp 2.10.??

I am trying to get gimp up and running. I have had it on my machine for a long time and now its upgraded to the latest and greatest. However, I am not convinced its right. If I goto ubuntu software they have two gimps. One is snap and one is not. Ubuntu software tells me that the non-snap version is installed (v. 2.10.14) and the snap version is not. When I do a search of my home directory I find that there is a pile of gimp stuff in my snap directories as well as elsewhere.

So, my first question does this seem to be right? (gimp in both snap and non-snap whilst non snap is the one installed). My thought is that, perhaps, I should just delete ALL gimp stuff, regardless of location and then re-install the complete package. I suspect that the easiest may be to install the non-snap version but, then again, maybe not.

this all started with trying to install a couple of addons. There were indications that installing these, with a snap installation, may not be the easiest way to go. The problem is that a lot of the instructions were before 2.10 was out so those may not actually apply.

Anyway, I would appreciate any thoughts on this one - thank you...........
    Memory: 14.6 GiB
    Processor: AMD® A8-7650k radeon r7, 10 compute cores 4c+6g × 4
    Resolution: 3840x2160 pixels
    GNOME: 3.28 OS: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: gimp 2.10.??

I have avoided all snap packages and will continue to do so.

Using the latest repository version, I have a .config/GIMP/2.10 directory in my home directory. I have no other GIMP-related files in my $HOME.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: gimp 2.10.??

If you had the snap version, but don't any longer, then just delete the ~/snap/gimp folder.
    You can double check to see if it is indeed not installed with
    Code:
    snap list
    anything listed is installed.
    As far as I know snaps work like other packaging/software where if something goes into the home folder for it it does not remove it when the package is uninstalled.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful