Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 19.10 Ubuntu live image has a persistent write behaviour by default, why not r/o*?

Beans

Re: 19.10 Ubuntu live image has a persistent write behaviour by default, why not r/o*

Since the text "quiet splash" is also 12 characters long the following sed command replaces it with "nopersistent" on the current daily focal fossa desktop iso. Offcourse you lose the quiet splash feature by default but atleast it doesn't write to the usb anymore during the live session...

Code:
    sed -i 's/\x71\x75\x69\x65\x74\x20\x73\x70\x6C\x61\x73\x68/\x6E\x6F\x70\x65\x72\x73\x69\x73\x74\x65\x6E\x74/g' focal-desktop-amd64.iso
    I'd rather see an extra F6 boot option offering this feature during the ISO/SYSLINUX loader screen, but the grub2 uefi boot may need an extra boot option to hint this feature.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: 19.10 Ubuntu live image has a persistent write behaviour by default, why not r/o*

I agree with you. As a matter of fact it should be rather easy to simply add a menu entry for syslinux in BIOS mode and grub in UEFI mode.

But until we have that, we can use sed as you suggest. I have actually implemented that in mkusb-plug

There is also an extra menu entry 'Live only to RAM' in the boot menu created by mkusb-dus

Edit: Maybe you can write a comment and ask for that at this bug report (We communicate with the Ubuntu developers via bug reports.)
    Last edited by sudodus; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:01 PM.

Beans

I wonder what effect this current "default persistent" option has on actually writing the ISO to a DVD which I haven't done in a long time... Still find it very strange that such a default behaviour was changed not only with limited communication but also no easy replacement ISOLINUX F6 / grub UEFI option to restore the previous read-only behaviour.

Beans
    Hidden!

Your DVD boot disks will work as before, they will be read-only.

We can only guess why and how this modification was decided: The new feature of Ubuntu 19.10 to create a partition for persistence when possible. I think that the partition is there to store logged data, that can be used in order to debug problems during boot but also during installation (into an internal drive). In other words, to help debug problems and find a solution for users like you and me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12