Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headless TeamViewer on Ubuntu 19.10

Beans

Question Headless TeamViewer on Ubuntu 19.10

Hey folks!

I have been attempting to connect to my home server running Ubuntu 19.10 over TeamViewer from my other devices (Linux computers, Android phones or Windows computers) in vain. I have tried fiddling with Xorg configurations, installing and uninstalling various things.

To summarise:

• Unable to connect to the server without a monitor connected. It does connect, but I end up on a black screen.
    • When I installed 'xserver-xorg-video-dummy' package and tried setting Xorg configurations in 'etc' and 'usr' in their respective paths, I could no longer log in to Ubuntu by entering by username and password via TeamViewer on the Ubuntu login screen until I got rid of it via ssh. Also, when I installed the package, my mouse and keyboard stopped working. Only through TeamViewer, it was accessible. Installing the package also disabled my monitor.
    • The same issue persists when I am using with the monitor and I disconnect the monitor while TeamViewer is running.

What I am looking to do:

• Have a headless Ubuntu 19.10 server accessible over TeamViewer.
    • Should be able to use when monitor is also connected.
    • All hardware should be accessible.

Any help or suggestion would be welcome, even the ones I have already tried in case I did it wrong. Please suggest. Thanks for reading!

EDIT:

I have solved it and put up my answer here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....6#post13932126
    Last edited by aravindvnair99; February 14th, 2020 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Add direct link to answer.

Beans

Re: Headless TeamViewer on Ubuntu 19.10

Thread moved to the "Server Platforms" forum.

Beans

Post Re: Headless TeamViewer on Ubuntu 19.10

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Thread moved to the "Server Platforms" forum.
    Hey @howefield

Apologies for the confusion, I actually am on Ubuntu 19.10 Desktop and not the Server edition although I use my system as a home server.

Beans

This is the best place for it, since you're trying to use it as a headless server.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Smile Re: Headless TeamViewer on Ubuntu 19.10

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    This is the best place for it, since you're trying to use it as a headless server.
    Hey @uRock

Thanks for the clarification. Will keep in mind. Not sure, if this is the right place to ask (I'm new to this forum), but could you please tell me how to tag or mention a user? Am I doing it right because I don't see any hyperlink or suggestions when using the "@".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'm confused when seeing "headless" and "teamviewer" in the same sentence. Isn't TeamViewer a GUI (graphical user interface) to access a desktop GUI? If so, headless isn't the right word.

If you are trying to access the "headless" server (no GUI), the normal procedure is using text terminal software such as PuTTY or Telnet.

With Linux, you can open a terminal and SSH into the server.
    With Windows, you can use PuTTY and SSH into the server.
    With Android, you can use Termius and SSH into the server (but I do not have any Android devices).

LHammonds

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Headless TeamViewer on Ubuntu 19.10

Quote Originally Posted by LHammonds View Post
    I'm confused when seeing "headless" and "teamviewer" in the same sentence. Isn't TeamViewer a GUI (graphical user interface) to access a desktop GUI? If so, headless isn't the right word.

If you are trying to access the "headless" server (no GUI), the normal procedure is using text terminal software such as PuTTY or Telnet.

With Linux, you can open a terminal and SSH into the server.
    With Windows, you can use PuTTY and SSH into the server.
    With Android, you can use Termius and SSH into the server (but I do not have any Android devices).

LHammonds
    Hey @LHammonds

Thanks for replying. Yes, you're right. I probably wasn't clear enough. So I have three situations:

• One is where I have a monitor connected and I am using the system which works perfectly.
    • The second is when I have no monitor connected and I SSH into the server. And yes, I use terminal from Linux, Termux on Android and Git Bash on Windows which all work fine.
    • The third is when I have no monitor connected and I want to use TeamViewer to connect which is where I'm facing the difficulty. When I install the 'xserver-xorg-video-dummy' package, it works as intended and as I expect it to. I can confirm the system does boot up without monitor because I can SSH into it. But TeamViewer doesn't capture it as there is nothing to mirror in graphics output. I am trying to get 'xserver-xorg-video-dummy' to work properly now. Or any alternatives to that so that there's a virtual monitor for TeamViewer to capture. That package works fine, just that I am unable to login. When I try to log in, it accepts the password and then puts me back to the lock screen.

Apologies for not being clear. Any ideas or suggestions?

I did get the GUI to show up on TeamViewer by following https://askubuntu.com/a/1087551/707371. But I am unable to login by typing my username and password. Once I type in, it tries to login and then I guess it logs out and puts me back on the lock screen. SSH works perfectly fine when I try to log in. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by howefield; February 14th, 2020 at 11:14 AM. Reason: posts merged.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

So, when you say "have a monitor connected and I am using the system which works perfectly." you are saying that you have some kind of GUI desktop environment such as GNOME, KDE, Mate, etc.?

I only ever use SSH or the text-based terminal that is standard with the server when I interface with it. So I don't know enough about a GUI system on the server beyond using "dialog" to create pretty text menus. My experience is limited to headless servers.

Sorry. I hope someone can help you that uses a GUI add-on but this certainly is not considered a headless server. I'm not doggin' on that...to each their own.

LHammonds

Beans

Post Re: Headless TeamViewer on Ubuntu 19.10

Quote Originally Posted by LHammonds View Post
    So, when you say "have a monitor connected and I am using the system which works perfectly." you are saying that you have some kind of GUI desktop environment such as GNOME, KDE, Mate, etc.?

I only ever use SSH or the text-based terminal that is standard with the server when I interface with it. So I don't know enough about a GUI system on the server beyond using "dialog" to create pretty text menus. My experience is limited to headless servers.

Sorry. I hope someone can help you that uses a GUI add-on but this certainly is not considered a headless server. I'm not doggin' on that...to each their own.

LHammonds
    Hey @LHammonds

Yes, I do have GNOME installed. Having a monitor is just one of the use cases. I usually SSH into the server. But there are times when I need to use the GUI. So that's why I have GNOME and TeamViewer installed just in case when the need arises. No issues, thanks for responding! Appreciate your time!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by aravindvnair99 View Post
    Having a monitor is just one of the use cases.
    Well, a monitor does not demand a GUI. It can display the CLI just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by aravindvnair99 View Post
    there are times when I need to use the GUI.
    Just curious, but what do you need the GUI for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast