Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Wifi Adapter Found | NVIDIA MCP61 Ethernet or Realtek RTL8201N Issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: No Wifi Adapter Found | NVIDIA MCP61 Ethernet or Realtek RTL8201N Issue?

Please see my ndiswrapper comments here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1012...012431#1012431

ndiswrapper isn't going to work. Ever.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by praseodym View Post
    Does
    Code:
    pccardctl info
    give any output?

Please also show
    Code:
    lsmod
    The first gives nothing, the latter gives the following (can't copy terminal output to a USB since it's on tty, sections do overlap):
    Upper left:

Upper right:

Middle left:

Middle right:

Bottom (left & right):

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Please see my ndiswrapper comments here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1012...012431#1012431

ndiswrapper isn't going to work. Ever.
    Are there any other options you'd suggest? It looks like apart from trying to install a (alleged) Linux driver for GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 or using ndiswrapper with a Windows driver for said chipset, there aren't other options that wouldn't require buying a new chipset/computer.

Additionally, should I continue troubleshooting with the desktop's Ubuntu booting to tty1, and return to the normal GUI, so that I can keep all of the packages I installed via USB, or is it impossible to return to the normal GUI now and I have to do a clean install to continue troubleshooting & have a chance of a solution?
    Last edited by kalion150; November 21st, 2019 at 03:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by kalion150 View Post
    (can't copy terminal output to a USB since it's on tty, sections do overlap):
    You can redirect output to a file with > like so:
    Code:
    lsmod > lsmod.txt
    A Raspberry Pi is $35 and will be faster than that machine. I personally wouldn't spend any more time on it. If you're having fun, though, carry on.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    You can redirect output to a file with > like so:
    Code:
    lsmod > lsmod.txt
    A Raspberry Pi is $35 and will be faster than that machine. I personally wouldn't spend any more time on it. If you're having fun, though, carry on.
    How would I direct that output to USB x, though, in CLI?

As for the desktop, if you assumed a Raspberry Pi was slower than the desktop, would you have any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by kalion150 View Post
    How would I direct that output to USB x, though, in CLI?
    Copy it to wherever the usb drive is mounted; or grab it over SSH; or leave it there and copy it from a live environment.

As for the desktop, if you assumed a Raspberry Pi was slower than the desktop, would you have any suggestions?
    Nope. For an ancient unsupported POS network device where you might maybe be able to find some old Windows drivers, NDISwrapper is the only option. If that isn't an option then there's no option.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Since I have an older account, I've switched to it from kalion150. See this link for details.

For the time being, since I've been able to establish a strong Ethernet connection with the desktop, I've put finding the Wi-Fi driver and using its capabilities via ndiswrapper on hold. However, I will continue troubleshooting in December and post my final results before Christmas, for others who may still be using GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 with an integrated Realtek RTL8201N PHYceiver. Thanks for all the help so far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12