Thread: Background settings not functioning properly

Beans

Background settings not functioning properly

I am using freshly installed Ubuntu 19.10 on a Dell Precision 7530 laptop.

Under settings - background, I cannot change the background to anything other that the default pictures.

According to Ubuntu Desktop Guide » Settings » Display & screen » Change the desktop and lock screen backgrounds, "There are three choices displayed on top:.... "

This is incorrect. There is an "add picture" button, but no wallpapers, colors or pictures buttons.

I will appreciate any help getting this to work properly.

Thanks,

Paul

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Background settings not functioning properly

It sounds like you're reading documentation for an older version of Gnome. This screenshot is how it should look. If you want a solid color, then you can create the image using Gimp or other photo editing software, then use add picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by plkx42 View Post
    I am using freshly installed Ubuntu 19.10 on a Dell Precision 7530 laptop. Under settings - background, I cannot change the background to anything other that the default pictures. According to Ubuntu Desktop Guide » Settings » Display & screen » Change the desktop and lock screen backgrounds, "There are three choices displayed on top:.... "
    This is incorrect. There is an "add picture" button, but no wallpapers, colors or pictures buttons.
    I will appreciate any help getting this to work properly.
    The dialog for changing the background was changed in Ubuntu 19.10. There is only one set of wallpapers that you initially see. Clicking the "Add Picture" button will add your own wallpaper to the set. Then you can select it.

For solid color, I gave the procedure to set a solid background color in this post:
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....1#post13904911

Beans

Thanks - I did determine that option would work.

I agree, it sounds like older documentation, but it's what I got from the default help (Gnome Help) in 19.1 freshly installed and updated 18 Nov 2019.