Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Inexpensive Ham Radio Recommendation?

Beans

Re: Inexpensive Ham Radio Recommendation?

What have you done?
    Come to the dark side, Luke.

It has its upsides. My wife has quieted all but the posts about puppies and kitties. Like that.

Marketplace too, some folks try to sell used stuff for $5 less than a new one, but every now and then you find someone reasonable who knows "flea market value." I found a 70's small stereo cabinet complete with turntable shelf and 12" LP album storage for $25, and a barely used Gorilla Rack workbench for $35. And sold so much, I used to cross post on Craigslist but Marketplace won out every time.

Anyway sorry to get off topic, but it's a good place to look for CB's/hams. Many of these people buy something with the intent to use it and it sits in the garage for years before they figure out it's just taking up space.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Many of these people buy something with the intent to use it and it sits in the garage for years before they figure out it's just taking up space.
    I have a lot of stuff like that. Trying to reduce the clutter these days.

One nice thing about my new radio is it's small and doesn't take much space. No desk set up.

I still need to get it running... I've only made sure it turns on OK so far. Ars longa... vita breve... or something

Beans

I was in electronics repair for many years and throughout the many years I have accumulated piles of electronics and now in my old age I'm faced with having to get rid of it.

Long story short I'm not willing to spend the money or time in finding homes or someone who wants this electronics as it would be a major PITA so out the door and into the trash it goes as painful as it is.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you're willing to deal with odd strangers, maybe you could post on Craigslist and tell people what you want to be rid of. There are all kinds of hobbyists that won't say no to free...

In this way, the piles of stuff travel from abode to abode, never resting in one place for more than a decade or two before moving on... In their dreams, the piles of stuff have taken control. The first thing they do is dismantle the incinerators. The second thing they do is incinerate the dismantlers... No wait they can't! For they have already dismantled the incinerators...

--??
    --jetsam

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jetsam View Post
    If you're willing to deal with odd strangers, maybe you could post on Craigslist and tell people what you want to be rid of.

--jetsam
    I'm unwilling to deal with the odd strangers.

I don't like the idea of odd strangers coming to my house seeing what I have and coming back when no one is around and helping themselves to what I have and I'm not paranoid just cautious.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Makes sense. No argument. Maybe a shared yard sale with the neighbors, or you could just toss it...

...its all a drop in the ocean. We've made a flood of e-waste, and sadly, it's not really possible for an individual's actions to have a significant impact on the bigger ecological problem... By significant, I mean mathematically, truly statistically significant, impact on a problem composed of tons of e-waste annually.

Beans

I don't like the idea of odd strangers coming to my house seeing what I have and coming back when no one is around and helping themselves
    Nah, if you're paranoid (and many people I've dealt with are) you arrange to meet at the parking lot in front of Wal-Mart or something. I sometimes do 5 or 6 transactions in a month, buying or selling, and honestly every one I've met is a regular and okay person, one I'm going to hook up with for some fishing in the spring. You can re-home some of that stuff if you want, but sometimes it's just not worth the hassle. At those times the ad reads "curb alert, FREE, come by and get it and don't bug me."

Marketplace is where it's at for flea market trading, like I said earlier I used to cross post on Craigslist and spend more time taking down the Craigslist ads that sold on Marketplace.

Beans

Nah if I'm going to load it up it's going to be loaded into the trash cans as I'm just not willing to waste the energy or time anymore because it's not worth it imo.

I hear ya about Craigslist to big of a PITA.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

Cool Re: Inexpensive Ham Radio Recommendation?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123