Thread: Lubuntu 19.10 Cursor changes in chrome

Beans

Angry Lubuntu 19.10 Cursor changes in chrome

In the settings you can change the cursor. I have "Breeze" selected. Hoverever if i move my cursor to the chromium window it gets changed.
    It is really annoying..

Beans

Re: Lubuntu 19.10 Cursor changes in chrome

TLDR - It's because Chromium is now a snap instead of a native package.

Ubuntu is moving toward using snaps for core packages in order to make maintaining them across multiple releases easier. Chromium in 19.10 is a snap now and unfortunately snaps don't integrate perfectly with the desktop. This is a longstanding issue as described in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...d/+bug/1585332. I am giving the devs the benefit of the doubt because the positives outweigh the negatives in the long run but in the short term, it's going to be a problem. It also bothers me quite a bit and I am hoping for a solution sooner than later, particularly because there is no alternative to using the Chromium snap on 19.10 (no, I'm not going to run the downloaded binary for a myriad of reasons).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by username52 View Post
    In the settings you can change the cursor. I have "Breeze" selected. Hoverever if i move my cursor to the chromium window it gets changed.
    It is really annoying..
    Why'd you say Chrome in the title and Chromium in your post? Two different browsers.
    Quote Originally Posted by esa1975 View Post
    TLDR - It's because Chromium is now a snap instead of a native package.

Ubuntu is moving toward using snaps for core packages in order to make maintaining them across multiple releases easier. Chromium in 19.10 is a snap now and unfortunately snaps don't integrate perfectly with the desktop. This is a longstanding issue as described in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...d/+bug/1585332. I am giving the devs the benefit of the doubt because the positives outweigh the negatives in the long run but in the short term, it's going to be a problem. It also bothers me quite a bit and I am hoping for a solution sooner than later, particularly because there is no alternative to using the Chromium snap on 19.10 (no, I'm not going to run the downloaded binary for a myriad of reasons).
    Hopefully they get that fixed soon.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by username52 View Post
    It is really annoying..
    I saw this problem in Chromium snaps installed several months ago (one in Lubuntu 19.10), but the changing cursor problem has disappeared in all of them. Is it still a problem after restarting? The cursor that is working properly for me is DMZ-White. You might try that one.

As to the theme bug, that seems to be fixed - at least in the snap version of Chromium browser in Lubuntu 19.10, which (I'm using it now) I can see is using the openbox window manager theme I select. Outside of the window manager theme, an alternate browser theme can be installed from the Chrome Web Store. I'm using Morpheon Dark.