Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Headers issues

Beans

Linux Headers issues

I've been same issues with my system and I can't upgrade as I continually get this error:

E: The package linux-headers-4.4.0-141 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

even when attempting to reinstall with the following command:
    sudo apt install --reinstall linux-headers-generic

I continue to get the error above.

Couple of odd things to note, when I run a list of the packages I get the following:

dpkg --list | grep linux-image
    ii linux-image-4.4.0-139-generic 4.4.0-139.165 amd64 Linux kernel image for version 4.4.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
    pi linux-image-4.4.0-141-generic 4.4.0-141.167 amd64 Linux kernel image for version 4.4.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
    ii linux-image-extra-4.4.0-139-generic 4.4.0-139.165 amd64 Linux kernel extra modules for version 4.4.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
    pi linux-image-extra-4.4.0-141-generic 4.4.0-141.167 amd64 Linux kernel extra modules for version 4.4.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
    pi linux-image-generic 4.4.0.141.147 amd64 Generic Linux kernel image

When I run uname -r I get this:
    uname -r
    4.4.0-139-generic

Anyone have any ideas? I seem to keep going in circles attempting to upgrade but can't reinstall the headers. All insight welcome, thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Linux Headers issues

4.4 is from the original 16.04 install. If you aren't tied to it, 4.15 is available and has been for a very long time.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

I'm on this across all my production ubuntu servers and desktops.
    Code:
    ii  linux-image-4.15.0-66-generic               4.15.0-66.75~16.04.1                         amd64        Signed kernel image generic
    ii  linux-image-4.15.0-70-generic               4.15.0-70.79~16.04.1                         amd64        Signed kernel image generic

Beans

Thanks for the reply, but it look like something is corrupt in my kernel installation/configuration as even when I attempt to upgrade from the link provided I still get the same error:

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    E: The package linux-headers-4.4.0-141 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Dumb question - did a sudo apt update get run just before?
    Code:
    $ sudo apt search linux-headers-4.4.0-141
    Sorting... Done
    Full Text Search... Done
    linux-headers-4.4.0-141/xenial-updates,xenial-updates,xenial-security,xenial-security 4.4.0-141.167 all
      Header files related to Linux kernel version 4.4.0

linux-headers-4.4.0-141-generic/xenial-updates,xenial-security 4.4.0-141.167 amd64
      Linux kernel headers for version 4.4.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP

linux-headers-4.4.0-141-lowlatency/xenial-updates,xenial-security 4.4.0-141.167 amd64
      Linux kernel headers for version 4.4.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
    Do you have at least 1 of those repos enabled?

Do you normally patch weekly? Getting into APT-hell can happen in a few different ways. Patching weekly, avoiding direct .deb file installations, and limiting the use of PPAs to just a few, reputable, PPAs per system is the easiest way to avoid APT issues.
    Even if you do those things perfectly, having versioned backups that you can restore from yesterday, 3 weeks ago, 2 months ago is always helpful. Had a DB get corrupted when a new nextcloud update broken some things. Took me a few weeks to notice, because the core things for which I used nextcloud still worked fine. Anyway, I looked through to changes in the backups to find the DB modification and had to go back 35 days. If I didn't have 90 days of daily, automatic, versioned, backups, I'd have to start all over with nextcloud and the 15 apps installed inside. As it was, it took me a few times to figure out which app had broken things.
    Last edited by TheFu; November 17th, 2019 at 06:52 PM.

Beans

4.4.0-141 is a pretty old version. the only reason I can think of using it is the API change which occurred about that time (I thought 142 was the old API, but don't recall). Are you trying to builld a driver which fails with the newer headers?

Beans

It's actually kind of strange, I haven't done anything to the system but I keep these errors. I also noticed this when I open software-properties-gtk

sudo software-properties-gtk

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/gtk/SoftwarePropertiesGtk.py", line 1171, in detect_drivers
    self.apt_cache = apt.Cache()
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 113, in __init__
    self.open(progress)
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 165, in open
    self._depcache = apt_pkg.DepCache(self._cache)
    SystemError: E:The package linux-headers-4.4.0-141 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

Does seem like there is some type of driver issue that is reliant on those headers but it is in some corrupted state. I also can't view any drivers that installed in the software-properties-gtk UI. Any ideas what I should do at this point? seems like everytime I attempt any type of upgrade or install I get that error (SystemError: E:The package linux-headers-4.4.0-141 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.)

Beans

The header package dpkg "actons" are "p" whichis purge. If you had manually deleted some of those files, maybe the purge is getting confused. Manually try a sudo apt-get purge linux-image-generic 4.4.0.141.147 and for any complaints about "missing files" , just use touch to make them (zero length is OK). When you get rid of all the "p" actions, then try an install .

Beans

Same thing:

sudo apt-get purge linux-image-generic 4.4.0.141.147
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done

Beans

Confirm that you are running Ubuntu 16.04, and post your /etc/apt/sources.list. Also apt-cache policy linux-headers-4.4.0-141

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Are these canonical repos in your APT sources?
    xenial-updates,xenial-updates,xenial-security,xenial-security

BTW, running any GUI program using sudo is a bad idea. Always use sudo -H, if you must.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast