Thread: Xubuntu won't let me use Wi-Fi

Beans

Xubuntu won't let me use Wi-Fi

Okay so, let me preface ALL of this with saying that this is my first time using Ubuntu in any capacity.
    Alright, so, ill explain everything in as much detail as possible.

I got this laptop from my school since they were giving away all their old computers and laptops away, so I figured why not since I don't have a laptop.

When I turned it on when I got home, it had Xubuntu on it. "Alright, that's cool, I'm cool with using a new OS since all I really wanna do is browse the internet and maybe play low end games" I thought to myself, but once I tried connecting it to my internet connection, it says "Wi-Fi is disabled" even though I checked the boxes that said "Enable Networking" and "Enable Wi-Fi", but when I connected my ethernet cable to the laptop, its able to have a wired connection to my router, but whats the point of a laptop if it has to be wired when I already have a normal desktop? since this is my first time using Ubuntu ever i'm not sure where to go from here.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask, thank you for reading!
    Last edited by jeremy31; November 16th, 2019 at 07:33 PM. Reason: removed center flag

Beans

Re: Xubuntu won't let me use Wi-Fi

Please tell us more about your hardware and which version of Xubuntu you're using. Also, did you install Xubuntu or did it come that way?
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Xubuntu won't let me use Wi-Fi

I tried connecting it to my internet connection, it says "Wi-Fi is disabled"
    On every laptop I've ever been famliar with, the is a switch or key combination that enables and disables wireless, sometimes it's called Airplane Mode.

Please find yours and toggle it,please.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.