Thread: Why does Ubuntu work so well on my Thinkpad T495?

Beans

Why does Ubuntu work so well on my Thinkpad T495?

I am using Linux for some month now on my new Lenovo Thinkpad T495. In the last months I have had problems with different Distributions. For example with Xorg which crashed quite often, I did not get sounds working on Manjaro, have had problems with WIFI and some of my fn keys did not work. Now I switched to Ubuntu and everything worked from the beginning. I did not have to troubleshoot anything. Keys, sound etc. worked. My general question is: why is this so different to other Distributions. Why does Ubuntu work well right after the installation and why did I have so many issues with Fedora, Manjaro or Debian? What does Ubuntu do which "the others" don't want or cannot do?
    It would be nice to hear some different opinions....
    Thanks in advanced, liam

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Why does Ubuntu work so well on my Thinkpad T495?

Not a support request. Moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by liiiam View Post
    Why does Ubuntu work well right after the installation and why did I have so many issues with Fedora, Manjaro or Debian?
    Luck, mostly.

Each distribution has something that they prioritise. For Ubuntu, that's ease of use. Fedora is a testing ground for enterprise software, Manjaro is focused on masochism, Debian is focused on not changing anything, and so on. None of them set out to not work, but they're all part of a wide ecosystem that isn't static - the kernel changes, X11 gets replaced by Wayland, Intel comes up with a new graphics driver architecture, AMD abandons their proprietary driver entirely, and so on. Each distribution picks their own versions of all that software and chooses configurations that make sense for them and what they're trying to achieve.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I have a 7-year old Dell Inspiron, and every distro I have tried has run like a top. I don't use Ubuntu any more, because Canonical has removed, over the years, a number of utilities (exfalso, avidemux, pypar2 for example), which are all available from the AUR, using Manjaro, which is Arch for human beings, as Ubuntu used the phrase, back in the day, "Linux for human beings/"

I'm still here, imparting help as I can, knowing a lot more about Ubuntu than Arch. I will say that Manjaro is as user-friendly as Ubuntu, and it is famous for its hardware detection.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I have a 7-year old Dell Inspiron, and every distro I have tried has run like a top. I don't use Ubuntu any more, because Canonical has removed, over the years, a number of utilities (exfalso, avidemux, pypar2 for example), which are all available from the AUR, using Manjaro, which is Arch for human beings, as Ubuntu used the phrase, back in the day, "Linux for human beings."

I'm still here, imparting help as I can, knowing a lot more about Ubuntu than Arch. I will say that Manjaro is as user-friendly as Ubuntu, and it is famous for its hardware detection.

Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Manjaro, which is Arch for human beings
    ...like Sabayon is Gentoo for human beings? Is it stable in practice? I like rolling releases... I think I'll stick it on the list of distros to try...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I don't regret using Manjaro at all; I'm even using the Testing repositories. Arch's "stable" packages are Manjaro "testing" packages.

Using those repos for about 5 weeks, and nary a problem.

And it's a breeze to install, as friendly forums as the Ubuntu forums are, and never say "RTFM!" the way, sometimes, Arch Forums have one posted. https://wiki.archlinux.org/ is one of the best resources for any Linux user. Some Arch users think they're better than even Manjaro users (btw, I use Arch). And Manjaro is as easy to install as Ubuntu with the advantages of Arch in a distro that is as suitable for rank beginners as old hands, which people find surprising.

I haven't walked away from Ubuntu, but Canonical's habit of removing valuable apps finally drove me away to Manjaro. It is, seriously, the best distro I think I've ever used.

I will always love Ubuntu, my gateway to Linux, and used it for 11 years. My main reason for moving to Manjaro was Canonical and their habit, over the years, removing apps on which I had come to depend, including aqualung, exfalso, avidemux, pypar2, and a few others. All of them are in the largest Linux repository, the AUR. Selecting one will AUTO-COMPILE the source code, installing all the dependencies first. This feature is amazingly useful; compiling source code with Ubuntu sometimes led me to the dreaded land of dependency hell. There have been some failures, but somebody on these forums said that downgrading gcc is the answer. It'll probably work, too.

Just sayin'.
    Last edited by oldrocker99; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:31 PM.

Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yep. You won't hear any disagreement from me, and I'll leave it at that...

I'll give Manjaro a try soon. Thank you very much for the tip. It sounds like I'll like it.