Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Can you test booting into an nvme drive?

Beans

Re: Can you test booting into an nvme drive?

However, if you are running Windows, even WIN 10, which is protected by Defender, a part of the operating system, you will need the Secure Boot.
    Defender is helpless against firmware rootkits, bootkits, kernel and driver rootkits.
    These may run right from the power on and stay hidden.
    Secure Boot can protect against these malware.

Running WIN10 there is no harm using the Secure Boot, it is a good protection though.
    The only issue I know appears when you try to make a clean installation with a bootable UEFI USB.
    The UEFI/BIOS does not see the USB as a bootable UEFI device when formatted NTFS with a GPT Partition.
    You cannot use FAT32, because new WIN10 ISO contains one file of 4.6 GB.
    But there is a good workaround for this one also.
    Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz / Asus Sabertooth Z97 / G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 Mhz
    Samsung 850 PRO 128 Gt SSD SATA III / HP Z27i 27" IPS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I used mkusb to make a bootable USB drive. There were no problems to make the USB, but the installation on my new motherbord (ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming) didn't succeed. I used Erase Disk and installed to /dev/nvme1n1. Installation of grub failed.

I made a bootable USB with dd and that installation went OK.

One difference was that the mkusb version booted into legacy, but the dd version booted into uefi. I'm quite sure that bios was set to uefi only before a started the installation with the mkusb version.
    Before I started the installation with the dd version I checked the setting in bios. It was set to legacy+uefi and I changed it to uefi only.

Beans
    Hidden!

@P-I H,

Thanks for the heads up. I want to understand what went wrong so that I can make mkusb better.

1. I guess that you made a persistent live drive with mkusb. (I am rather sure that when you clone with mkusb and make a live drive without persistence, the result should be identical to what is made with any other cloning method (so identical to the result when you use dd).

2. I know since before, that there can be problems to install (create an installed system) from a persistent live system made with mkusb. One such problem is that the persistent live drive can be considered a target drive. A workaround in this case is to boot the persistent live system without persistence and with 'toram', which is one of the menu options in the current version of mkusb 12.3.8 (it was introduced in mkusb 12.3.7).

3. What you describe seems to be another problem affecting installing from a persistent live system made with mkusb. Please tell me which version of Ubuntu or Ubuntu family flavour that you were using, for example Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS or Lubuntu 19.10 or Xubuntu Focal Fossa. I will try to repeat what you were doing and provoke the same failure in order to debug it.

4. Some UEFI-BIOS systems have a setting to 'try first' in one mode that you can select, and if it fails, to try booting in the other mode. I think this happened, maybe because the persistent live drive failed somehow with the bootloader. Can you remember if you used the default method for grub, or if you selected 'usb-pack-efi' in the settings menu of mkusb?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The setting in UEFI for either legacy or UEFI is only for your installed systems.

If Secure Boot is off, you normally get two boot options in UEFI boot menu for Ubuntu installer. One clearly UEFI:name & other name where second one is BIOS and name is a label or brand name of flash drive.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

@sudodus
    1. I run mkusb on Ubuntu 19.10 and used mkusb to clone the 20.04 daily iso. I thought I should get the menu version, but I got the version with the icon as shown in the instruction on page
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

4. I used the default method.

@oldfred
    The installation where I cloned the iso with sudo dd if=/home/p-i/Downloads/focal-desktop-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdd
    worked as expected and after restart the new installation was booted from the /boot/efi partition on the first drive /dev/nvme0n1p1.

Beans
    Hidden!

@P-I H,

Which icon? Did you mean the second one of these attached pictures?

In that case it indicates that it booted in BIOS mode.

Just to be sure: Are we talking about the installed Focal Fossa system in the case when you used mkusb to create a persistent live system with Ubuntu Focal Fossa in the USB drive and used that to install Ubuntu Focal Fossa into the nvme drive? Or am I jumping to conclusions?

Edit: If you really cloned with mkusb, it should create a drive that is identical to what is created by dd. Cloning means copying each byte from the iso file to the target drive without any modifications. Nothing added, nothing removed, nothing changed.

Edit 2: I have to think twice here. Sorry. I don't think that icon appears in installed systems, and not in a persistent live system created by mkusb-dus. So I think you are talking about a cloned drive, that is booting in BIOS mode.

Unless the USB pendrive hardware makes a difference, a cloned drive by mkusb and by dd should be identical and behave in the same way. mkusb uses dd under the hood when cloning. It is 'only' wrapping a safety belt around dd.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sudodus; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:59 PM. Reason: small but important changes of Ubuntu version

Beans
    Distro

The USB I booted with mkusb got the 2:nd image. It obviously booted in bios mode..
    I run mkusb on Ubuntu 19.10 and on the usb was the daily iso of focal fossa. I expected to get the 1:st image, but got the 2:nd.

When I made the 2:nd usb with sudo dd if=/home/p-i/Downloads/focal-desktop-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdd
    I used the same iso and in this case i got the 1:st image after I booted the usb.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, I see, and I don't understand why.

Please try again, this time with

- the same USB pendrive
    - the same USB port on the computer
    - the same settings in the UEFI-BIOS menu system
    - clone from the same iso file

You should get the same behaviour (booting into the same mode) both when using mkusb-dus and dd.

If you still get different results I must conclude, that mkusb-dus is not cloning, when it should clone, and that is a really serious bug.

Beans
    Distro

OK, I will do this but I will use another target system /dev/sdb instead of /dev/ nvme1n1.
    When I used /dev/nvme1n1 as target system it was formatted with the disk utility as a blank disk with zeroes as 2TB(GPT) and I will not do that this time. The target disk contains a focal fossa installation.

Beans
    Distro

The boot with the mkusb created "boot usb" worked OK. The only difference is the "blank" target disk. I will try that too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast